Do Newest Set Top Boxes Shut Off Automatically?
Barbara66

I'm considering switching cable TV service for a disabled relative in Massachusetts to Verizon Fios TV.  There would be one TV and one STB.  He already has Verizon fiber optic telephone.   However, I've read about automatic timers/shut off on some STB models, and I know he won't be able to deal with menus, programming, or selecting options from a screen.  He can use a remote control, and that's about it.  My relative is over 80, with speech defects and intellectual disabilities.  He won't be able to troubleshoot the service himself if it goes down.  Do the newest STBs have this automatic shutoff feature programmed by default?  Also, another elderly relative has had Verizon Fios TV shut off during the day on a regular basis, although it might have been fixed with a new gateway and STB. 

Do the newest STBs shut off by default after a few hours? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Do Newest Set Top Boxes Shut Off Automatically?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, there is an feature that will turn off the STB after a certain amount of time. The feature can be disabled so that the unit remains on.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Barbara66 wrote:

I'm considering switching cable TV service for a disabled relative in Massachusetts to Verizon Fios TV.  There would be one TV and one STB.  He already has Verizon fiber optic telephone.   However, I've read about automatic timers/shut off on some STB models, and I know he won't be able to deal with menus, programming, or selecting options from a screen.  He can use a remote control, and that's about it.  My relative is over 80, with speech defects and intellectual disabilities.  He won't be able to troubleshoot the service himself if it goes down.  Do the newest STBs have this automatic shutoff feature programmed by default?  Also, another elderly relative has had Verizon Fios TV shut off during the day on a regular basis, although it might have been fixed with a new gateway and STB. 

Do the newest STBs shut off by default after a few hours? 

Look here for the settings:

Main Menu > Settings > System > Fios TV One Mini Settings>Auto Power Off

I don't know if you can completely disable the feature, but all it takes is one input from the user every 4 hours to keep the box on.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It can be fully disabled. I took a screen picture of the options. Just submitted it for review before posting it here. 🙂

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes