Do you have a cat?
JRose5
Enthusiast - Level 2

My TV suddenly just stopped.  Light on box went very dim and then out.  I phoned Verizon support and proceeded with alot of fancy maneuvers but none helped.  A technician was dispatched to the house and came the following afternoon.  He noticed my cat and asked if she likes to sleep on the TV box.  "Yes" I replied and he said that is the problem.  She likes it because it is slightly warm and is secluded  but her hair gets down into the box and messes things up.  he went to the truck, got a new box, connected it and stood it up.  It is vertical not horizontal and cozy, cat's mad but I told her to find a new spot.

Labels (1)
Re: Do you have a cat?
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

not so much the hair also but the cat prevents the ventilation overheating the box..  

0 Likes
JRose5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ah, yes.  That makes sense.  A co-worker with a cat told me she put a place mat on the box to prevent the cat's hair from getting into the box.  But I will let her know about the ventilation issue.  Thanks.

0 Likes
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

it's basically like a small computer, especially if it's a DVR box with a hard drive in it..  so yeah, definitely allow for proper ventilation.

0 Likes
ClueBox
I've had a set top box / favored cat perch fail previously due to overheating too. In my case it wasn't so much the hair as it was the kitty litter that deposited over the years.
0 Likes
JRose5
Enthusiast - Level 2

thank you AveMaria

0 Likes
JRose5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you ClueBox

0 Likes