Re: Dolby Digital not working
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Try HDMI from box to soundbar, then soundbar HDMI out to TV. Unhook optical. If that doesnt work try HDMI from box to TV, optical from TV to soundbar.

bsilverm
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah unfortunately I’ve tried it every which way by now without any good result. I have a ticket open with definitive technology (soundbar manufacturer) to see if there’s anything they can do. 

0 Likes
bsilverm
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I decided to just return my definitive technology sound system today and get something else in case the issue was with the system itself. Because how could the issue be with Verizon? Everyone would have this issue if it wasn’t my sound system, right??  I got a Sonos playbar with sub and the sound is exactly the same. Each setting and method of hooking up the system has its own quirks and awful audio issues. The experience is just terrible. I think I’ll have to dump Verizon in favor of someone who doesn’t have these issues. I honestly can’t believe how bad this problem is.. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Like I said In my first post, ALL audio through the new boxes is compressed with Dolby audio compression, then converted to Dolby 5.1 regardless of the original source material. Sometimes it's ok, most times a bad compromise. Verizon has their reasons they say and are supposed to be working on a fix for some time in the beginning of the year. The older 7200 boxes had an audio pass through option that allowed your equipment to do the decoding,  and sounded way better than the current boxes. The same applies to their video scaling which cant be turned off any more. Your TV may have better scaling  than the box, but you'll never find out unless you try OTA. If you think any other provider is better, I can say from personal experience that ATT Uverse  is better for Audio, but they too apply video scaling in the box that cant be defeated, and there is no way to access the service menu to make system level changes. Also your TV may or may not be able to send DD5.1 out the optical out. No current TV can send higher level audio schemes via optical than DD5.1. The only way you have a chance is if you are using eARC, and to do that both the box and the TV and the soundbar have to be capable.

bsilverm
Enthusiast - Level 3

The box I have is an Arris 4100 and does have a Passthrough option that seems to be working better.  Very difficult to tune the lip sync, and to make things more difficult it seems to vary by channel.  Looking forward to a fix in the new year..

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

The lipsink can be helped by looking at options in the TV menu and the soundbar. They may both have auto lip sync enabled and are fighting each other. Also if you go into the service menu on the 4100, you can manually adjust the lip sync which is likely set to auto too. Turn the box off with the power switch on top. Hit OK 2x quickly on remote. Left arrow, then choose USER. Scroll to ADDITIONAL HDMI SETTINGS,  hit ok. You'll find lip sync options there. Start out at 150 and work up or down until you get it right. Hit ok then power to exit menu.

bsilverm
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah the lip sync is tough.. the box has lip sync settings, the tv has it, and so does the soundbar.  I'm getting close though.  Thanks again for all the tips.. the passthrough option is working extremely well and my system sounds great no matter what channel or commercial is on.  A huge step from where I was before.  Thanks again!

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

I'm suprised they finally restored the passthrough option. It was something I had been fighting for over a year now, and you can tell why. Lipsync is a huge issue since every device tries to process the video and creates delays doing so. So 99% of the time you have to delay the audio to match the video. Problem is if you set a specific delay in your sound bar, it affects all sources, not just the Fios box. Better to do it in the Service menu for the fios box and turn it off on all your other devices. It will take some time, but you can do it.

bsilverm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I’ll give that a try today. The issue I had was the box only has 3 settings (50, 100, 150), but I’ll try them all with the delays off on other devices. The service menu also locks up most of the time and requires me to reset the box, so I haven’t had the patience to mess with the menu much after finally being able to set the pass through option. Once I find the right settings I’ll have to write them down so I never have to deal with this again!  Thanks again!! 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Strange, you used to be able to input any value in the service menu. Must have changed along with the passthrough option. Since you are using optical out of your TV I'd start with 150 and work back. Sorry about it being such a pain, but that's the state of the art these days.