Drives that work with new DVR
UNCMo96
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just signed up for the DVR upgrade. I was looking at the following iomega 2tb esata drive. This should work for expanding the storage right?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003HIXONC/ref=asc_df_B003HIXONC1630125?smid=A33Y0YQUZ2NYD5&tag=dealtmp1-20...

0 Likes
Re: Drives that work with new DVR
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

I would give you definite maybe on that drive.  2 key things are missing from the manufacturers data sheets.  First, they list eSATA transfer rates, but not actual throughput to the disc.  Second they don't indicate if the drive has a spin down for power saving.

Probably will work, but it is certainly at your risk. 

0 Likes
UNCMo96
Enthusiast - Level 1
Are there any 2tb drives that are known to work with the new dvr? Also, what are the required specs for a drive to work?
0 Likes
forya1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So Only ESATA drives work?  The USB port doesn't work?  I have a Generic 1TB encloses with a WD 1tb drive in it it is both USB and ESATA. Will that work?

0 Likes
TAP8
Enthusiast - Level 1

So, I'm assuming the spin down/power saver feature would be a problem?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@TAP wrote:

So, I'm assuming the spin down/power saver feature would be a problem?

Not recommended.  Actually may not be a problem.  The box may keep it active at all times.

And most Drive manufacturers have a way to turn off the power saver, although that must be done before connecting and formating for use with your FIOS box.

0 Likes
merrick611

I received my new high capacity DVR today.  How can you be sure that the esata drive is enabled? (before i go out and get a drive I'd like to be sure I'm going to be able to use it?)

Thank you

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@merrick611 wrote:

I received my new high capacity DVR today.  How can you be sure that the esata drive is enabled? (before i go out and get a drive I'd like to be sure I'm going to be able to use it?)

Thank you

You need the latest IMG software which is V1.9 (build 10.95) for Motorola boxes (don't know the number if you got a Cisco box).  Go to the menu, settings, and system and the information as to the build will be there.  If you don't have the latest build then you will not be able to use an extrnal drive until the update is pushed to you.  Depending where you live that may have happened or will happen within the next couple of months (there is nothing you can do to speed up the push of the new code).

BTW If you received a 7232 or Cisco then you already have a 500G drive which is 3 times larger than the 7216 or 6416 (160G drives).

It would help if when people registered they at least put their area location in their profile.  It makes some answers a whole lot easier (you'll notice that I have SE PA in mine).

merrick611

Thank you for that information. Yes, it is a Motorola Box and I checked and I only have version 1.8 so I'll have to wait. I am in Long Island, NY so hopefully Ill be getting it soon.. On a related question, I intend on putting  a fair amount of storage on the internal hard drive of the DVR but--when the IMG 1.9 finally arrives and I hook up an external drive, my understanding is that the DVR recognizes the external drive and that is the only drive it will see --However, if I unplug the -esata drive, will the DVR then again see the recorded info that I had recorded on  the internal drive or is that no longer accessible once an external drive is used?   Maybe my assumption is incorrect that the DVR cannotl see both the recorded info on the internal drive AND the e sata material. Please let me know . Thank you

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Not correct.  You will be able to see (and access) recordings on both the internal and external drives.

All new recordings will go to the external drive until it is full.  It will then revert to recording on the internal drive (assuming space is available).  Next choice is that it start deleting the oldest unprotected recordings (those not marked for "save until I delete").

Can't vouch for the whole sequence since I haven't gotten close to that scenario.

0 Likes