Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu

DVR and external hard drive

SOLVED
wmoran
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

DVR and external hard drive

Message 1 of 5
(2,141 Views)

My DVR is at 82% capacity so I decided to add a 1tb external hard drive.  I made the connections and rebooted both the new HD and the DVR.  On the DVR menu I now have two drives, one called the internal and one called the external.  The internal is still at 82% and all the new recordings seem to be going onto the external drive since it is indicating about 5%.

I have read where others who have added an external HD have seen their capacity go from the original capacity, say 82%, to 20% or so after adding the external HD.  They still see only one storage drive on their DVR menu.  How to I get my two drives to combine into one, and why are my new recording going onto the new drive, leaving the original drive stuck at 82%?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PJL
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Re: DVR and external hard drive

Message 2 of 5
(2,121 Views)

@wmoran wrote:

My DVR is at 82% capacity so I decided to add a 1tb external hard drive.  I made the connections and rebooted both the new HD and the DVR.  On the DVR menu I now have two drives, one called the internal and one called the external.  The internal is still at 82% and all the new recordings seem to be going onto the external drive since it is indicating about 5%.

I have read where others who have added an external HD have seen their capacity go from the original capacity, say 82%, to 20% or so after adding the external HD.  They still see only one storage drive on their DVR menu.  How to I get my two drives to combine into one, and why are my new recording going onto the new drive, leaving the original drive stuck at 82%?

I think what you are seeing is how it works -- it reports the capacity of both drives separately.  The software always places new recordings on the external drive until it is filled up -- that's the way it works. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PJL
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Message 2 of 5
(2,122 Views)

@wmoran wrote:

I think what you are seeing is how it works -- it reports the capacity of both drives separately.  The software always places new recordings on the external drive until it is filled up -- that's the way it works. 

wmoran
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 5
(2,118 Views)

So the DVR drive will start to fill only after the external is full?

PJL
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Message 4 of 5
(2,111 Views)

@wmoran wrote:

So the DVR drive will start to fill only after the external is full?

Yes, the external drive is filled before the internal is used for new recordings.

wmoran
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 5 of 5
(2,097 Views)

Thanks.  I may not see that because I don't know I'll ever fill a 1tb drive.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title