dvr dropping recordings
slee2099
Enthusiast - Level 2

For some reason my STB has started dropping recordings, series that are preset to record are not showing up in the record list. Resetting the box fixes the problem for a short time but then it startd up again, and several times now I've missed things that should have recorded. Now I have to keep checking everyday to make sure everything is working.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: dvr dropping recordings
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a known issue with the latest quantum release. Verizon is working on a fix but as of yet, there is no release date.

I have found that if you find a series that isn't recording do the following:

Chose the series.

Chose modify series.

Make no changes and then save.

I haven't had any series repeat.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a known issue with the latest quantum release. Verizon is working on a fix but as of yet, there is no release date.

I have found that if you find a series that isn't recording do the following:

Chose the series.

Chose modify series.

Make no changes and then save.

I haven't had any series repeat.

dale5351
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same with us.   When I did my spread sheet of the week's scheduled recordings, there were three shows that were not scheduled to record, but should have been scheduled.   I went to series manager, then deleted them, then added them back in.  That fixed it --- FOR NOW.  Last week it was some other shows.

This is aggravating to say the least.

0 Likes
58gibby
Enthusiast - Level 2

Been having same issue and found couple things.

On most of the shows it happens with the start times are 1 minute off. I've programmed a show thru series manager that could be 8:00-8:30, 8:30-9:00 or any other time. But the following weeks show or 2-3 weeks later the start time switches to 8:01-8:31 or 9:01-10:01. That weeks show doesn't get picked up to record. So I have multiple shows listed for the same show, one has normal start times on the hour or half hour and others with a minute late for start and end times.

Again 1 week the show starts on hour and next week starts 1min late you'll need multiple recordings in series manager.

CDOsr
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is what I posted in a different topic addressing the same issue:

Another way to get them back in the "scheduled" list is to force a reboot of the Media Server STB.  "Main Menu -> Customer Support -> Top Support Tools -> Reboot STB".  After reboot, the box apparently rescans the guide and will re-discover the missing scheduled recordings.

Not an idea solution, having a fix would be that, but at least you don't have to fiddle with each and every series affected, just force reboot the box.  This has worked for me several times.  If fact, I've gotten into the habit of rebooting the box before going to bed.

0 Likes
jmetzner
Enthusiast - Level 1

Re-saving the scheduled recordings and rebooting the box have worked for me, but only temporarily. When I rebooted the box at 9:30am this morning and then my 10am recording recorded but my 1am recording failed I decided to call tech support (mainly to complain). I can't sit here all day and keep rebooting the box, after all.

The first tech I spoke to didn't seem to know how the DVR operates at all. After a couple of times trying to explain what a "series recording" was, I asked for another tech and was promptly disconnected. I called back and the second tech was more helpful, if confusing. Honestly, I have a degree in Computer Science and I couldn't follow most of her (long) explanation of what the problem could be. 

Here's my understanding, if it makes any sense:

* There was a problem on the server when the last software update when out, and some boxes got faulty software.

* The server problem has since been fixed.

* So, when the tech rebooted the box remotely in a way that "refreshes all the apps" I should have received the corrected software.

We'll see what happens with my scheduled recordings tomorrow -- I had already cancelled all the series recordings for today and replaced them with manual ones -- but I'm skeptical. The tech did agree to waive the rental for this month since the service hasn't been working, but who knows if that request will ever make it to billing.

I'm tempted to chuck the whole thing and get a Tivo/Cablecard instead. Anybody know what the montly charge for a Verizon CableCard is?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go in to your account and see what it would cost to add CableCard. I beleive around $5.99.

Keep in mind that you will not have VOD with cablecard.

Not sure if it is important, just wanted to point it out.

0 Likes
jmetzner
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK, $4.99 looks right, thanks. Do you know if I still have to pay the "Fios Quantum TV - Enhanced Service" fee if I give back the DVR?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Shouldn't. That is for the stb service

0 Likes
dale5351
Enthusiast - Level 3

This thread should not be marked solved until Verizon fixes the problem.   Work around temporary solutions are not *solutions*!

0 Likes