DVR freezing while watching recorded programs
imkimmy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since the upgrade to the new guide, my DVR regularly freezes while watching a recorded show.  The only way to get out of it is by turning off the DVR, then turning it back on -- note that this does not always work, and I have to do it numerous times.  Please help.

0 Likes
Re: DVR freezing while watching recorded programs
Frank_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Sorry you are having a problem with the DVR. I am sending you a private message so I can get your information to help with this DVR.

Thanks

Frank_VZ

0 Likes
Terpfan

I am having the exact same problem.  On both of our HD DVRs.  Random recordings while freeze up while playing back and once the program freezes, I cannot get past that point.  It only started when Verizon introduced the new guide.  It hs happened about 5 times.  A couple of recorded shows we could not watch at all.  I called Customer Service and they have sent me one new DVR.  I have yet to hook it up because we have recordings to watch.

0 Likes
Terpfan

Any help or fix for this problem?  Do I need to upgrade my other DVR as well?

0 Likes
fevest

I am having this same problem on both dvr's I have in the house.  It seems not to matter which dvr the show was recorded on nor which dvr you are using to view the show.  It also leaves you with shows you can't watch at all.  Just have to delete them.  Never had a problem before the software upgrade to 1.9. 

I tried the online chat but gave up after about an hour waiting.

If someone knows of a fix or workaround, please let me know.  I really doubt both dvr's have gone bad at the same time.  Oh, I did all the usual stuff, the in home agent reboot and finally a unplug and reboot.  No difference.

0 Likes
altterrain

Yup, yup, yup. I had the same issues when accessing the DVR (QIP6416) in the office from the STB (QIP7100) in the living room. The DVR finally froze up and did nothing except occassionly flash an "8" on the front display. Lost all the recordings on it (grrrrr......). Got my new QIP7232 today, hooked it up and ready to go. Will see if it works better.

-Brian

0 Likes
Lilnonny1

1/18/2012

My DVR boxes do the same thing since the upgrade. It appears that the entire show recorded but it freezes and won't play. This usually happens almost instantly but I have had incidents where it waits until almost the end of my show to freeze. That is most frustrating and disappointing!!! I'm starting to see more amd more subscribers lately having similar problems. Can you help please? Thanks!!!

Janet/David Anderson

0 Likes
BillSM
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've seen this, but only on a couple recorded shows. Last night I watched Pan Am, recorded Sunday. Picture froze at 24-minute mark while FF during a commercial. Stopped the recording, restarted and tried again without FF. Still froze. Only way to get past the freeze point was to use the "chapter" views to start after the 24-minute mark. 

I have a Motorola 7232 DVR.

0 Likes
Firteen888
Same exact thing is happening to me. Started happening ever since the guide update. I'm going to give it another few weeks, if it's not fixed I'm switching to cable vision.
0 Likes
bacardy703
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem here, with that POS set-top box the QIP 6416. Is there an alternative to this box? I was on hold with Verizon with 3 different departments (again) for 30 minutes just now and ended up with replacement QIP 6416, which I repeated mentioned is the underlying problem here, but they are all just drones doing their jobs.

I'm very tempted at this point, after 10 years of allegiance to ALL Verizon services, to end my now-completed FIOS Triple Play contract and revert back to my local Cox, at least I can physically hold someone accountable with them, Verizon Customer Service is the equivalent of an Orwellian novel complete with a bureaucratic system that is so broken it's humorous.

Actual conversation just now:

First Operator: "Oh you wanted a NEW set-top box, I just ordered you a replacement. I'll transfer you to Customer Service, all I can do is replace your existing one." (I thought she was Customer Service...sorry?)

2nd Operator: "Sir, the person that gave you our department was wrong, we will only give you the same box again. I will give you someone that can help you more on this."

3rd Operator: "You can get this upgraded box and it's free and it's a different brand that makes it too." (wow, that's just what I want...finally a positive resolution!)

VZ Internet: "eSATA storage expansion for your EXISTING DVR set-top box" (wait.....this is just my same box with an additional piece of hardware now attached to it, thanks for nothing!)

And there went 30 minutes of my life (not including typing this recounting).

Problem definitely not resolved yet! Am I asking for too much paying Verizon nearly $20/month for the rental of a faulty HD-DVR set-top box that clearly causes problems for SEVERAL users as indicated by this forum alone?