DVR issue
donut1053

Hi all..   Finally made the switch from directv to fios..  As with all changes you find things that you use to love seem not to be available with the new..

Here's is something that happened last night and I can not figure what I may be doing wrong.. With directv I use to be able to watch live tv and watch a recored program at the same time.. So last night I was watching the Penquins hockey game and during intermission I decided to start watching a recording that of Human Target that was approx 30 mins of the 60 mins already recorded..  I went to the recording and started from the beginning.. I watched about 15 mins and decided to switch back to live tv and when I hit the last button it did not take me back to the Penquins game but it did take me to live tv on the same channel that was being recorded...

I hope there is a way to watch live tv and view a recording but be able to go back to live tv to the channel you were viewing..Please help

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DVR issue
Justin46
Legend

If I am understanding the scenario correctly:

1) Watching a channel live

2) Want to start watching a program from the beginning that is currently recording, so hit DVR, select the program, and start watching.

3) Want to go back to the live channel I was watching (in #1), hit Last, get channel from #2.

Is the above correct? If so, if I just hit the Last button a second time I get back to #1. Yes, I briefly see channel #2 on the first push of Last, but the second push takes me to channel #1.

Does it not work that way for you? Or have I misunderstood?

To get back to the current position in the recording, when I am ready, I just hit DVR, pick the program, and select Resume Play.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The LAST button will not do what you want in this situation.  If you manually re-enter the "live" channel (while still viewing the recording) it will return you to live TV with about the last 1 hour buffered (so you could rewind if you missed the start of the next period).  Not as nice as the 1 button you are used to, but it will do what you want.

Hope that helps and welcome to FiOS.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure if you can do this with the Verizon supplied remote for the STB, but I see in the specs that there is a "swap tuner"  EFC code for Motorola STB's (when you go to watching a show on the DVR that's currently recording, the box switches tuners inside to be the one with the recording show).   So, conceptually, the other tuner in the box is still tuned to the original channel you were watching (i.e. the Penguins game).   So, if you had a way to instruct the STB to "switch tuners" to view the other tuner, you might gain the functionality you're after.  This is why the suggestion keyboards made would work -- the box detects you asking it to change the channel, realizes that it can't change the channel on the current tuner because it's being used for the current recording, so automatically switches tuners to the "unused" tuner and changes the channel -- which of course at that point is unnecessary since it's already on the right channel -- and thus why you still have the 1 hour buffer available for the game.

Someone with a universal remote might be able to quickly check this theory out.   I have one, but I'm not in a spot where I can look into programming it to test it out -- maybe someone reading this will.   If it works, then we need to figure out if we can repurpose a key on the FiOS remotes to be "swap tuners" like one of the little keys at the bottom which go unused.

I used to do this all the time with my Comcast remotes and STB (the Comcast remote was easy to repurpose various keys to add functions which were left off but otherwise supported by the box).   I haven't had the need since switching to FiOS since I also bought the universal (Logitech Harmony) around the same time and it had all the functions I usually used readily available or easy to add.   Here's a website that talks about that specific to Comcast, but since Verizon also uses Motorola boxes, the EFC codes might still be applicable.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Programming_the_Remote#Add_A_Tuner_Swap_Butto...

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

If I am understanding the scenario correctly:

1) Watching a channel live

2) Want to start watching a program from the beginning that is currently recording, so hit DVR, select the program, and start watching.

3) Want to go back to the live channel I was watching (in #1), hit Last, get channel from #2.

Is the above correct? If so, if I just hit the Last button a second time I get back to #1. Yes, I briefly see channel #2 on the first push of Last, but the second push takes me to channel #1.

Does it not work that way for you? Or have I misunderstood?

To get back to the current position in the recording, when I am ready, I just hit DVR, pick the program, and select Resume Play.

Keller, TX 76248

donut1053

Thank you Justin and to all who replied..  Justin that was exactly what I was looking for... Didn't know that a second hit on the last button would do what I wanted.. 

Just to add to the solution of the initial post.. I found if you pause live tv before going to the recording which is in progress when you return to live tv you will be at the place you paused.. That makes it nice this way you will not have to reverse to go back to when you switched to the recording..

Thanks again allSmiley Happy

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@donut1053 wrote:

Thank you Justin and to all who replied..  Justin that was exactly what I was looking for... Didn't know that a second hit on the last button would do what I wanted.. 

Just to add to the solution of the initial post.. I found if you pause live tv before going to the recording which is in progress when you return to live tv you will be at the place you paused.. That makes it nice this way you will not have to reverse to go back to when you switched to the recording..

Thanks again allSmiley Happy

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep... just to confirm the OP's statement ... when I got home last night I tried Justin's suggestion and it worked!  Cool.   Learn something every day.