DVR Recording - How to add 30, 60, 120 minutes to SINGLE recording - not series
parsetdx
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can see how to setup a series with "options" which include recording an extra 5, 10, etc. minutes at the end of a recording.

I do not see how to do this for a single program recording.  When I select a program in the guide I can only record the program (no options) or the series with options.  How do I get extra time options for a single recording - I don't want to setup a series.

I often record sports and with my old Comcast DVR it was very simple to setup an individual show to record with X minutes of overage at the end.  This is especially important for sports - for instance, I will set a recording and then come in say an hour late and start watching the game.  If the game is running long then I may be watching the game in say the 6th inning when the recording finishes and then it jumps me to live TV and shows me say the 9th inning.  That is not good.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DVR Recording - How to add 30, 60, 120 minutes to SINGLE recording - not series
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@parsetdx wrote:

I can see how to setup a series with "options" which include recording an extra 5, 10, etc. minutes at the end of a recording.

I do not see how to do this for a single program recording.  When I select a program in the guide I can only record the program (no options) or the series with options.  How do I get extra time options for a single recording - I don't want to setup a series.

After setting up a single recording from the guide, go to the DVR menu and select the show you want to extend.  In the menu that comes up will be an option to MODIFY START or END TIME.  Here you can select from the fixed time choices (from 5 minutes to 2 hours) to extend the recording as well as start it earlier than the programmed start time.

There is no way to do it from the guide, but it can be done as indicated above.

View solution in original post

Re: DVR Recording - How to add 30, 60, 120 minutes to SINGLE recording - not series
momomo1
Enthusiast - Level 1

YEs EXACTLY! WHat a drag. This aways happens to me. There is no way to stop it unless you constantly change the "backround" channel as you watch a DVR replay. So bad. SO BAD!!

Thre many things like this that suck with Fios. 

WHo designs this stuff?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@momomo wrote:

YEs EXACTLY! WHat a drag. This aways happens to me. There is no way to stop it unless you constantly change the "backround" channel as you watch a DVR replay. So bad. SO BAD!!

Thre many things like this that suck with Fios. 

WHo designs this stuff?

I understand the issue in the first post in this thread, and I most certainly agree there should be a way to add time other than by doing a manual recording, but I do not understand what you are saying here. No way to stop what?  Can you explain further, I am sure someone here will be happy to try to help.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@parsetdx wrote:

After setting up a single recording from the guide, go to the DVR menu and select the show you want to extend.  In the menu that comes up will be an option to MODIFY START or END TIME.  Here you can select from the fixed time choices (from 5 minutes to 2 hours) to extend the recording as well as start it earlier than the programmed start time.

doropallo
Contributor - Level 1

@Keyboards wrote:

@parsetdx wrote:

Thanks for that information, it helps a newbie like me. 

Now, how about you are watching a live program, and decide you want to record just a 3 minute segment you are watching, can it be done?  I hit the record button and it captured the entire program, I know I can fast forward to the point I wanted to share, but FIOS' FFwd isn't very fast.  On Dish when I hit the record button an option appeared that would just record from the point where I hit the button, grab the entire show, extend the show and a few other options.

0 Likes
Lets_Go_Mets
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is does that because you are on that channel and there is a buffer.

You would have to change the channel and change back again. This clears the buffer. Then, hit record and the recording will start from that spot.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Lets_Go_Mets wrote:

Is does that because you are on that channel and there is a buffer.

You would have to change the channel and change back again. This clears the buffer. Then, hit record and the recording will start from that spot.

Actually, if you're not already recording something you would have to change to 2 different channels since there are 2 tuners and both are buffered.  Changing channel the first time switches you to the other tuner but the first tuner keeps on buffering.

0 Likes
falleyne
Enthusiast - Level 1
This is annoying. I should be able to record with options. Especially for sporting events which constantly go over allotted time.
0 Likes