DVR Scheduling
rjneves
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a problem with scheduling on the DVR and I was wondering if there is a way to fix it that I am just not seeing.

It seems that ABC has a habit of reporting that end times of some of their shows as "10:02pm" or something similar (in particular Dancing with the Stars). Now if I want to record 2 shows at 10:00pm (Like CSI:Miami and Law & Order) this causes a conflict in the schedule. The show with the lowest priority is simply not going to get recorded. 

Ideally there would be two ways to resolve this. The first (and logical way) would be that the DVR would start recording DWTS and at 10:00pm cut over to the higher priority shows. This would be perfect.  However, my experience has been that this is NOT how it works. The DVR will see the conflict and, not being smart enough to figure out that it is only a 2 minutes overlap, not record the show with the lowest priority. 

The other option would be to allow you to set a recording to END early, just like you sat it to start early or end late. That way I could set DWTS to end at 10:00pm no matter what the guide said and resolve the issue. 

Any suggestions on how to work around this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: DVR Scheduling
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Unfortunately the only other suggestion I could give you is to set a recurring manual recording.  Of course this is not based on what show is on, but just the date, time, and channel.  The series manager will always just canel the lowest priority show in case of a conflict - even if it is just a 1 minute overlap. 

You are dealing with a limited amount of horsepower in the DVR microprocessor (one of the reasons often given for not being able to support eSATA) as well as the limited cpabilities (at least that's the way it appears) of VZ programmers.

0 Likes
Re: DVR Scheduling
rjneves
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was afraid that was the answer. Though while I might be able to buy the limited horsepower for doing stuff like that automatically, if the VZ programmers can make it so you can start a recording 5min early, then they can give you that same level of control for ending it early. It's probably just way low on the priority list, after all, Facebook integration is way more important, right? 

Thanks for the answer!

0 Likes