DVR turns off when I turn off TV
grnlantern
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the new QIP7232 DVR, but I've got a big problem. Whenever I shut off my Philips TV using the TV remote, the DVR shuts off as well. This causes any and all recordings (current or scheduled) to stop.  Obviously this is a problem. 

Anyone else have this issue?

0 Likes
Re: DVR turns off when I turn off TV
tns
Master - Level 2

A bit odd that the TV's remote also shuts off the DVR.  However shutting off the DVR should not do anything to  your schedule of recordings.  DVR's really never shut off, but go into a standby mode that allows it to continue recording. Is the DVR plugged into a power socket on the TV?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is your DVR plugged directly into a wall outlet -- and not into an outlet on the TV?

0 Likes
grnlantern
Enthusiast - Level 2
No its plugged into a power strip that is plugged into the wall. Everytime I shut the TV off, the DVR goes off too. If I had hit record manually, that recording stops. The DVR essentially reboots. This is weird. Do I need to have it serviced?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@grnlantern wrote:
No its plugged into a power strip that is plugged into the wall. Everytime I shut the TV off, the DVR goes off too. If I had hit record manually, that recording stops. The DVR essentially reboots. This is weird. Do I need to have it serviced?

Is the TV plugged into the same power strip? If so, it may be that you have the TV plugged into an outlet in the strip that senses whether the device plugged in is using power or not, and will shut the entire strip off if not. I know there are strips available that have that feature, of course I don't know if yours does.

If both are in fact plugged into the same strip, try moving the TV plug to a different socket in the strip. Or on a temporary basis plug one of the devices directly into a wall outlet and see if it still happens.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
rayman216
Enthusiast - Level 1

Many higher end power strips have an energy saving feature that disables additional outlets to reduce electricity consumption.

0 Likes