DVR Upgrade / Expansion - External Hard Drive goes idle
davecaruso

I upgraded my DVR by buying a 2TB external eSata hard drive.  The external drive works when I power it on and it shows up in my DVR menu.  I have been able to record to the external device and playback.

The problem is that the device goes idle and goes into standby mode.  The cable box then does not recognize it and only records to the internal storage.  The only way I can get it to record to it is to manually turn it off then back on.  I contacted the manufacturer and it doesn't have a shutdown feature, they said the issue is with the cable box not sending power to it.

Is there a fix for this?

0 Likes
Re: DVR Upgrade / Expansion - External Hard Drive goes idle
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

I am not sure why it is doing that. The external drives so still keep working if the box is in standby. To rule out it being a problem with the box you can hook it up to another box you may have or hook it up to a friends box to test it. Also refer to our e-sata page talking about the connectivity, drives we have tested and approved services for(though people have successfully used other drives) , and  frequently asked questions.

http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiostv/other+hardware/esata/129841.htm?

0 Likes