Emergency System Tests happen too frequently
wessock1

I swear to god that these emergency system tests happen at least every 2 days, if not every day. I'm sure not many people are noticing considering they happen so early in the morning, but it's getting REALLY annoying when even DVR recorded shows get interrupted because of this. Is there some kind of computer error that these keep happening so often? I'm in the Philadelphia area.

0 Likes
Re: Emergency System Tests happen too frequently
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

Hi, the EAS is mandated by the FCC and broadcasters are required to take part. Now how often, I don't know.  It used to be once a week at random times.  However, the bottom line is that it is not Verizon's choice as to when and how often, it's the station that is in charge of it and Verizon and all other providers are required to air it.  You need to direct your question to the station(s) that keep doing the tests. 

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

It's usually the service provider, not the station, running it, especially if it's happening on all the stations at the same time  Smiley Wink

0 Likes
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

Hi, I have never seen it happen on all stations at the same time. However I am in So Cal and we never seem to do things the same way that other states do. Smiley Surprised

0 Likes
wessock1

It's not the stations, it's Verizon issuing the tests. When this occurs, the whole DVR is taken control of by verizon for the length of the test, even while watching a recorded show, and the home user has no interaction or control. I know the FCC regulations, but this isn't that. These are not weekly or monthly occurrences, but at least every other day/daily, or more, I'm not around the DVR 24/7. The FCC require weekly and monthly tests, not every day.

0 Likes
NotarySojac
Enthusiast - Level 3

I corroborate that it happens every 2 or 3 days and it breaks up any content being recorded. Luckily, due to some update recently the DVR has picked up and started recording the show again, but a year ago once the DVR displayed EST on the front you knew the recording was over and you had to remember what you had set up and start it up again,

Originally we had thought each channel had to do the EST on their own, so G4 did it every Monday and USA did it on Thursday etc so that would explain why we got cut off several times a week, but we finally realized it was the whole DVR being taken over when we had simultaneous EST breaks in two recordings.

Perhaps the frequency depends on the local Verizon setup. We're in central NJ.

0 Likes