Error Message to start Cable card service but I don’t have a cable card
0512FAT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Help!  I’ve already chatted/talked to 6 technicians and none of them can fix this.

Background:  received a new Arris main cable box 3 days ago.  Plugged it in and now I get the Cable card error message on the following channels: 553, 583, 585, 617, 618, 621, 632, 691.  Since it’s the “main” box, none of my tv’s get them. The message is a yellow caution sign and says: “In order to start cable card service for this device, please (can’t read the next word it’s off the screen) cable card provider” then there’s a list of Cable card ID, with a number, Host ID with a number, Data with a number and Unit Address with a number.

Also, when I look at my account online, it’s still saying that my new box is awaiting pickup and my old box is still showing up.  When I picked up the box at the store, the man working there didn’t take my order number, and he just handed me the cable box, that wasn’t in a box or bag or any packaging, and no paperwork at all.  I’m wondering if it’s not a new box or if it’s not activated for my account. I have more issues as well.  Needed a new remote, in order to send me one the technician “had” to add a house phone line to my account.  Something I haven’t had for 3 years!  I still have to deal with that!  Thank you for any help you can provide. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Error Message to start Cable card service but I don’t have a cable card
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@0512FAT wrote:

Got a new box today and lo and behold it’s working just fine!  After 10 hours of chat and plugging stuff in, switching connections, etc, they finally agreed to give me a new box!  I refused to do any more troubleshooting for them.  If they refused to do this I was going to cancel my service. 

Thought that was the problem, glad you got it resolved. Support always tries to fix an issue without returning the boxes first, then if nothing works they suggest replacing the box.

View solution in original post

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@0512FAT wrote:

Help!  I’ve already chatted/talked to 6 technicians and none of them can fix this.

Background:  received a new Arris main cable box 3 days ago.  Plugged it in and now I get the Cable card error message on the following channels: 553, 583, 585, 617, 618, 621, 632, 691.  Since it’s the “main” box, none of my tv’s get them. The message is a yellow caution sign and says: “In order to start cable card service for this device, please (can’t read the next word it’s off the screen) cable card provider” then there’s a list of Cable card ID, with a number, Host ID with a number, Data with a number and Unit Address with a number.

Also, when I look at my account online, it’s still saying that my new box is awaiting pickup and my old box is still showing up.  When I picked up the box at the store, the man working there didn’t take my order number, and he just handed me the cable box, that wasn’t in a box or bag or any packaging, and no paperwork at all.  I’m wondering if it’s not a new box or if it’s not activated for my account. I have more issues as well.  Needed a new remote, in order to send me one the technician “had” to add a house phone line to my account.  Something I haven’t had for 3 years!  I still have to deal with that!  Thank you for any help you can provide. 

The whole thing sounds like a mistake. I think you were given a box that was not wiped before you got it. Call support and get another new box and remote. Also I have NEVER heard of having to get a land-line to get Fios service. Somebody needs to get straightened out.

0512FAT
Enthusiast - Level 2

That’s what I think. I tried again today with tech support. I’m so sick of unplug this, restart that. Nothing works!  I think the box is bad..it’s still as of now showing up on my account as “ready to be picked up”.   Also , regarding the phone line, I can’t cancel it until my bill comes out!  I can add to my plan, but not cancel anything!  I told them I won’t pay a penny more than I’m paying now. I’ve really had it. I’ll call tomorrow because I have no choice and I’m going to insist on another box. I’ve spent about 9 hours on this now. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@0512FAT wrote:

That’s what I think. I tried again today with tech support. I’m so sick of unplug this, restart that. Nothing works!  I think the box is bad..it’s still as of now showing up on my account as “ready to be picked up”.   Also , regarding the phone line, I can’t cancel it until my bill comes out!  I can add to my plan, but not cancel anything!  I told them I won’t pay a penny more than I’m paying now. I’ve really had it. I’ll call tomorrow because I have no choice and I’m going to insist on another box. I’ve spent about 9 hours on this now. 

Call the billing department this time. you should be able to get through quicker.

0512FAT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Got a new box today and lo and behold it’s working just fine!  After 10 hours of chat and plugging stuff in, switching connections, etc, they finally agreed to give me a new box!  I refused to do any more troubleshooting for them.  If they refused to do this I was going to cancel my service. 

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@0512FAT wrote:

Thought that was the problem, glad you got it resolved. Support always tries to fix an issue without returning the boxes first, then if nothing works they suggest replacing the box.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes