Excessive "Emergency Broadcast System" Tests
Mackeyser
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm a late night tv watcher in FL and for months now, I've been seeing these "monthly" Emergency Alert System or Emergency Broadcast System messages interrupt programming. It's really a pain with certain VOD programs because they don't allow more than 2x FF, so presuming VOD resumes immediately (not a given) I can still be forced to have to fast forward through 2 hours of a movie to get back to the climactic action sequence or dramatic courtroom shocker or what have you.

These tests are very important. I really, really want this system to work to inform me if a hurricane or other natural disaster is headed my way.

That said, I counted 6 days in a row that they ran this test. Over the last few months it's felt like almost every night.

These are supposed to be monthy tests.

If they ran these tests during prime time, folks would be upset maybe not so much the first time, but certainly if it started to feel like nearly every night during prime time, Verizon was interrupting programming to run these tests.

Which begs the question, are there really so many changes to the system occuring that these tests must be repeated almost nightly?

If not, why aren't they being done on their monthy schedule? It's no fun getting blasted with that Emergency test klaxon and my ceiling is getting worn out....

If someone would please look into that, I'd surely appreciate that.

0 Likes
Re: Excessive "Emergency Broadcast System" Tests
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The tests are not under Verizon's control.

That said it would be great if Verizon fixed the way it effects recordings and VOD, so as to minimize impact after an alert is over.

PJL
Master - Level 3

EBS tests are NOT originated by Verizon, but by local agencies.  And in many places this may be multiple agencies.  Verizon has no control over the timing or quantity of these tests. 

Mackeyser
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you both.

However, that begs the next question of why Verizon isn't advocating for its subscribers and at least asking the various agencies to try and coordinate a little bit.

I mean, I don't know how many agencies need to pull the switch on that test, but certainly they can coordinate the tests to minimize the impact to viewers.

As opposed to the alternative of quite literally having EVERY NIGHT of programming interrupted with those messages.

The problem is that I've seen it so many times now that if there was a real emergency at 3am, I'd likely ignore it.

Virtually every night for months on end will do that...

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

Complain to the agencies directly.  Verizon has no management role in the process, only a role in providing the technical infrastructure that supports the EBS.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Mackeyser wrote:
... I don't know how many agencies need to pull the switch on that test, but certainly they can coordinate the tests to minimize the impact to viewers ..

I think you're suggesting that various government and regulatory agencies will voluntarily coordinate their activities to provide greater convenience to the general public.

Call me back collect the next time this happens.

0 Likes
Hub2
Enthusiast - Level 1

It would be great if they ran them during commercials.  Is there a law that says that they have to be always tested during shows and never in commercials?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The regulation for the cable and satellite providers requires them to do it when the signal is sent.  They can't choice to delay it..  And when they get it its across all channels, which would make it impossible to wait for breaks in programming, even if they were allowed to.

This is different than local over the air channels that can do a little scheduling and give you a prettier message and give you the message.  ".. this is a test  ... if this were a real emergency ..."

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

They happen when they happen.  The originating entity performs them when they desire. 

0 Likes
jwpinc

Just switch from Time Warner and had Time Warner for almost 20 years and I can't remember when I seen an Emercency Broadcast System on there. They never went off.

0 Likes