Re: Exploiting FiOS TV Favorites
DandyDon
I have QIP7216, 1.6.2.  After setting up Favorites 1, and exiting, I can't get the remote to scan "Favorites 1" by pushing the channel up or down buttons.  Previously I had DirecTv DVR that did this.  I've read manuals, followed the tutorial on the FIOS TV channel, tried every setting on the menu setup.  Must we get into the Favorites guide every time we want to change to a Favorites channel?  I want to just hit Channel Up "forever" to change to my favorite channels.  BTW, 1.6.2 did NOT fix the irritating "channel not available" from appearing about every few hours after changing channels.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I have a QIP 6416 and 1.6.0 (scheduled to get 1.6.2 in 2 days) so I have no idea how much change there is between the levels, other than what I have read. But did you use the procedure I documented in post #1 of this thread? If so, unless there is major change in this area in 1.6.2, once you do the setup you can hit the Favorites button on the remote (the "heart" button) to select either the full guide or the favorites guide to be used when you use the channel up/down buttons and when you hit the Guide button. You can hit the Favorites button any time you want to switch between the full guide and your favorites (two favorites if you set both up).

How about you give us the settings you now have set in the Favorite Channels section of the Menu and lets see what you (hopefully) have wrong?

Re: the "channel not available" issue you mentioned. I saw that on a few channels a little while back, it was a signal strength issue at the STB caused by an attenuator that had been in place for three years, and suddenly it caused problems. Removing the attenuator fixed the problem. I would not expect a change in the IMG level to fix (or even affect) that problem. Have you had Verizon come out and check the signal level at the STB? If not, you should (or look for an attenuator first if you want).

Keller, TX 76248

Message Edited by Justin on 04-11-2009 05:55 PM
0 Likes
DandyDon
I hit the Fav (the heart) and the DVR "hung" (ie no response to ANY buttons on the remote or on a backup remote).  I cycled power on DVR, after it reset the TV showed channel 10,  I hit the heart and my Fav #1 list appeared.  Pushing the Up or Down button highlights channels on Fav 1 list BUT the TV always shows channel 10 until you hit OK to select a channel.  You can move the cursor over to the left and select Guide, and select Fav 1, then select Close Guide and you get a TV station w/o guide or menu.  However, if you hit the channel up button, it scand through All Channels (not Fav1 list).  
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Sinced you did not provide the settings you are using, I can only guess that you have something set up incorrectly.

Assuming that you want to be able to:

1) Select which list is displayed when you hit the Guide button (ie, see in the on-screen Guide only the channels in Favorite 1 or All Channels, your choice at any time)

- and - 

2) Control which list is used when hitting the Channel Up/Down button (ie, surf through the Favorite 1 list or the All Channel list, your choice at any time)

Then you should have the following settings:

1) Favorite 1: contains only the channels you want to see when using the Favorite 1 list (ie, contains a subset of all the channels available)

2) Favorites Button: Toggle Flip by Favorites

3) Flip by Favorites: Favorite 1 (or whichever list you want the "default" list to be)

And you should now see the following:

1) When you hit the Favorite button (the heart) you will see a little heart-shaped thingy in the upper right of the screen showing which list is being used (ie, flipping Favorite 1 or All Channels). You hit the Favorite (heart) button again to change to the next list, etc. in a wrap-around manner)

2) The Guide button will display the channel guide using whichever list is active.

3) The Channel Up/Down button will use whichever list is active to switch to the next up or down channel.

It is hard to explain but very easy to use once you get it set up. If it still doesn't do what you want, then please, please tell me what your settings are, it is hard to help in a vaccuum.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
bobkrezel

Nice job on the guide.  It is really helpful when holding the remote.  However, I am really looking for how to view just your favorites when on line and/or setting up your favorites for the TV while online.

I don't have the DVR, but would like to be able to look at my favorites, set up my favorites, and maybe set up reminders from my computer.  I am not home all day, but sometimes would like to plan my evening.

If there were some way to view just the channels I can recieve would be an improvement over the current method. 

Any help appreciated

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@CapnK wrote:

Nice job on the guide.  It is really helpful when holding the remote.  However, I am really looking for how to view just your favorites when on line and/or setting up your favorites for the TV while online.

I don't have the DVR, but would like to be able to look at my favorites, set up my favorites, and maybe set up reminders from my computer.  I am not home all day, but sometimes would like to plan my evening.

If there were some way to view just the channels I can recieve would be an improvement over the current method. 

Any help appreciated

First, thanks for the kind comment.

While I am not completely sure what you are looking for, I can say that if you did have a DVR you would be able to set up, view, and change your Favorites list on that DVR (does NOT have to be a multi-room DVR). The non-DVR STBs, at least the ones I have, do not have any way to access them from the internet; I have no idea whether Verizon might implement something like that in the future. Also, fyi, the non-DVR STBs have a reminder function, the DVRs do not, although it is rumored to be coming.

You can always hope, Verizon employees do participate in these forums, so maybe your needs will get into the pipeline. In the meantime getting a DVR would provide most of what you want I think, plus you get all of the nice things about recording stuff to watch later.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
DandyDon
Justin, you are right!  I didn't realize they have a Flip By Favorites setting.  This setting is the only one I changed, and now the channel up/down buttons only bring up Fav 1 channels.  Unrelated to this problem, on the DVR, once in a while I hit the Channel Up (or down) button and the TV displays the new channel number and info for a few seconds, dissappears, but the channel doesn't change.  This occurs about once every hour.  This never occurs on my regular FIOS STB.  Any one else seen this?  Thanks.
0 Likes
barbshop
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, I appreciate the value of the "favorites" feature, and completely understand all the posts regarding its use.  However, I have a unique problem that I'm not sure Fios can handle.  I just switched from Directv and had this ability with their remote when using "faovrites" lists.  With Directv I could select a favorites list and all controls on the remote would default to the channels on that list until I went back and selected either all or another favorites list.  What I mean is if I selected favorites 1 when I used the channel up and down keys (without going to the guide" I would cycle through each one of the channels on the list but only those on the list.  Why this mattered to me is that I have 94 year old mother who's eyesight is very bad.  She cannot see the guide information when it is displayed so it does her no good.  She only watches a handful of stations and I want her to be able to use the one big channel up/down button to enable her to cycle through the channels she likes rather than the entire list of several hundred.  There does not seem to be a way to do this with the FIOS remote which requires you to select your channels from the guide.

Hope this makes sense.  I love the FIOS service, but miss certain simple features that I had with Directv remote.

0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

@barbshop wrote:

... What I mean is if I selected favorites 1 when I used the channel up and down keys (without going to the guide" I would cycle through each one of the channels on the list but only those on the list.  ...

That is precisely what FIOS does.  Select "Flip by Favorites" and Ch+/- will only cycle through channels on your Favorites (1 or 2, whichever is active) list.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

barbshop,

I am confused. Did you read the 4 page document I wrote and linked to in the first post? I think what I describe and recommend there is exactly what you want. Setting up and using the Favorites function they way I describe affects both using the Guide and using the Channel + and - buttons.

If you have actually tried what I recommended and it isn't what you want for your mother, please try again to describe what you are looking for. Thanks....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes