Re: Exploiting FiOS TV Favorites
Justin46
Legend

@sosuzguy wrote:

This is the 4th box I've had since January and now this one is messing up.  Next time it does I'm just calling VZ and they can send someone out I'm not messing with anything else.

What STB do you have? And what kind of problems (if you have already posted your problems on the forum then maybe just post a link to that thread, who knows, maybe somebody here can help). I have had my DVR and two SD STBs for almost 4 years now, had one of the SD STBs replaced when it failed to power up, but other than that, no major problems, and those that I have had have been fixed by the periodic software updates, except for the lousy Guide data, but that will only be fixed when Verizon dumps FYI Television as the provider I think.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
sosuzguy
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@sosuzguy wrote:

Please see this post.  Thanks

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_TV&thread.id=12626

My guess is that it is a signal strength problem. I think it is highly unlikely that four separate DVRs will exhibit the same problem without there being some external cause. Were all of the DVRs you got the same model?

I have a QIP 6416, I did briefly have a few channels have the channel unavailable problem. It showed up about 3 years after installation. Called it in, tech came out the same afternoon, reached behind the DVR and removed an attenuator that had apparently been installed at the initial install. Problem solved! Apparently the signal from my ONT finally got out of spec, at least on a few channels, and it showed up as channel unavailable. The problem has not come back.

Some things to check:

1) Is there an attenuator anywhere in the connection between the ONT and your DVR? If so, try removing it.

2) Check the coax connections anywhere you can reach them, from the ONT to the splitter to the DVR.  

3) Do you have more than one splitter in the path from the ONT to the DVR? If so, get some RG6 coax and make a more direct connection, see if the issue goes away.

4) Is your splitter perhaps a 6-way with open ports? If so, get some terminators to put on the open ports, might help.

5) Do you have multiple STBs? Could you perhaps try moving the DVR to another connection, or another STB to where the DVR is now, to see if the problem moves, stays, or goes away?

6) There is a way to check the signal quality on any channel, have you done that? If not, basically the procedure is:

a) Set the DVR to the channel you want to check (one that is showing not available)

b) Power off the DVR and quickly press the Select button on the front of the DVR twice. This will display a Diagnostics menu.

c) Using the remote control, tab down the d04 entry, INBAND STATUS. Press the OK button, see if there are uncorrectable errors and if the SNR is shown as good.

d) There may be other entries you should look at that might give a clue as to the problem, I don't know, maybe take a look at everything to see if something bad pops out to you.

e) When you are finished, tab down to E and exit

f) Power the DVR back on.

You might want to also try this on a channel that is working to compare the values to the ones for an unworking channel.

Just a few thoughts. If you try any or all of the above and nothing fixes it, then I think you should get Verizon to come out and check the signal strength, perhaps all the way from the pole or vault to the DVR. 

Once again, hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

sosuzguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

These were not all QIP7216 DVR's

The first 3 were the previous model before QIP7216

#1 Had such a lag that you could count to about 30 before it would respond to any commands, changing channels, pulling up the guide, turning on or off, starting to record, you name it...

#2 Had unbelievable hard drive noise.

#3 worked fine for about 2 months then just quit working, no display just dead.

*All of these three above were Verizon's used pieces of junk they'd distributed to other customers.  I got new service but used equipment!

The 4th box is a QIP7216 - occasionally when I turn on the TV there is only video No sound.  Then the video goes blank with a message the channel is currently unavailable and to call 866-962-1946.   enter quick code 8801.  Unplugging/plugging in the box usually fixes the problem for about 24 hours.

Fios Tech had me check all the signal strengths and stuff and I was told that everything was setup and currently the way it should be.

Next time I'll just call and they can come check it out for themselves.  We had Dish for 4 years and not a single problem.  We've had Fios since January and it's been nothing short of a nightmare!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Well, I guess that is about all I can suggest. Sorry. As I said I have a QIP6416, works great, but since mine was installed at the very beginning of the FiOS TV service mine was new.

I hope you can get your issue resolved, I have had FiOS TV since Sept. 2005 and am really happy with it.

Keller, TX 76248