Feature requests(s)
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

I see that occasionally someone from Verizon actually reads these fora and responds.  Since it is next to impossible to get anybody to discuss matters with via the Verizon phone help lines (endless automated menus that send you to further endless automated menus) and since Verizon chooses to not offer e-mail help, I'm starting this thread in the hopes that the right folks at Verizon (rather than just other peers/users) may be informed of customer needs/desires.  I hope that  there will be occassional responses from Verizon.  To start things off:

(1) I'm a Northern Virginia FIOS customer with 2 HDTVs and 1 SDTV.  When I ordered my FIOS bundled services a few weeks ago, both my service advisor and later the installer informed me that the HD Set-top Box would NOT work with the Home Media DVR box/software.  However from other users in other parts of the country it is apparent that with the current software load, this functionality IS available.  If so, then I unnecessarily got an additional HDDVR when I could have used just an HD Settop box. 

Recommendation:  INFORM your customers and OFFER them the option to alter their packages when the functionality changes;

(2) Recommendation:  Provide a means to increase the storage capacity of the DVR.  ~20 hours of HD content fills up the Hard Disc very quickly and is paltry!  Provide larger hard drives, or make available the capability to use an external Hard Drive via either a USB or eSata port, or even better, via one's home network to your PC hard drive;

(3) Fix the glitches with playback of recorded programming.  (a) cannot FF near the end of a recording;  (b) pause "releases" too soon; there are others documented in other threads;

(4) PLEASE get a better content provider for the program guide.  There are NUMEROUS instances of incorrect flagging of "new" vs. "repeat" programming.  There is an entire thread ("Guide Sucks!" ) discussing the problems with the guide;

(5) PLEASE modify the DVR and/or Program guide as necessary to allow"dynamic" determination of the timing of a program.  It is pretty standard now that DVRs will extend a recording if a program runs over its originally-scheduled time.  There is no excuse for FIOS TV to not be so capable as well;

(6) In Home Media DVR functionality, please add the capability to stream PC VIDEO content through tthe Home Media DVR rather than just static pictures and audio streaming.  If INTERNET video streaming is a bridge too far, at least permit playback of video already resident on the PC.  Also when doing this, PLEASE do not limit the video formats that will stream (MPEG, AVI, DIVX, WMV, MOV, etc should ALL be available)

(7) Allow a selection when streaming MUSIC via Home Media DVR, to display the VIDEO from the currently-selected TV channel.  I know it's there, since the edges of the picture show around the edges of the music playback screen.  Simply allow the user to toggle from viewing the music playback screen to the background TV picture.

FIOS is the BEST picture quallity of any TV programming source I have ever seen, but these niggling inconveninces certainly detract from the overall experience.  I hope Verizon is indeed interested in improving their product and this is a step in trying to help you do just that.

Thank you.

Message Edited by CapnTrips on 09-12-2008 05:54 AM
Re: Feature requests(s)
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

To supplement item (6) above, Media Manager ought to be able to play ALL varieties of MUSIC files as well, including Wav, M4a, and many other common file types.  Additionally, why is there a restriction on DRM-protected files?  These are being played from their authorized computer and are being used on a home network of the authorized user.  There is no copyright violation in such fair use.  PLEASE allow Media Manager to be as great a tool as it could be, and not some watered-down hamstrung version that cannot play all of my legally-obtained (created or purchased) files.

Thank you 

0 Likes
Cokeman
Enthusiast - Level 3

@CapnTrips wrote:

(6) In Home Media DVR functionality, please add the capability to stream PC VIDEO content through tthe Home Media DVR rather than just static pictures and audio streaming.  If INTERNET video streaming is a bridge too far, at least permit playback of video already resident on the PC.  Also when doing this, PLEASE do not limit the video formats that will stream (MPEG, AVI, DIVX, WMV, MOV, etc should ALL be available)

Just found this:

Media Manager: My Videos*Media Manager currently allows photos and music stored on your PC to be viewed from your Advanced Set-Top Box. The newest version of Media Manager now adds support for personal videos stored on your PC, allowing Media Manager subscribers to watch their (non-DRM) digital home video files (e.g., .AVI and .WMV) on their Advanced Set-Top Boxes.
*To access this feature, customers must use an ASTB (Advanced Set Top Box): High Def STB, High Def DVR or Standard Def DVR

http://www36.verizon.com/fiostv/web/Unprotected/Newfeatures.aspx

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/General+Support/Top+Questions/QuestionsOne/98764.htm

0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3
That is certainly interesting reading, and I hope it's being rolled out, but how does one get it?  I have the latest Home Media HD-DVR software (1.6), as well as the latest version of Media Manager (7.2.58) which tells me that it is the latest, and there is no My Videos capability.  If anybody can point me to a link where I can download this software, please do.  Plus, I still don't see any rational reason for restricting DRM-protected files.  I am using them IN MY HOME, ON MY OWN EQUIPMENT, and not for profit.  This is clearly fair use within the current law.
Message Edited by CapnTrips on 09-14-2008 09:48 PM
0 Likes
garyski
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would also LOVE to see ability to use external USB hard drive or record to LAN / PC storage since there is such extremely small space on the DVR. This would be a huge plus.

I'd like to see sound volume leveling across the channels.  They are all different volumes, which gets anoying when you surf.

Justin46
Legend

CapnTrips,

I think that function is still in beta testing, probably will be some time before it comes out for all to use.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

Additional items:

(8)  When playing back a recorded program on the DVR, allow direct entry of a time to skip to (rather than having to tediously fast-forward through the first 115 minutes of a basketball game to see the last 5 minutes when all of the action is).  Sky TV in Europe offers this on their DVR's.  In addtion to "Play" there is a "Play From..." option and then you type in the number of minutes into the program you want the playback to begin.

(9) In Home Media DVR capability, allow HD recordings to be played back in SD on SD boxes to SD TVs.

0 Likes
MDBERUBE
Enthusiast - Level 1

New TV Season - New HD Channels - I need more space on my DVR!

We need to complain to Verizon so they see the urgency of this request.

Forget the IMG enhancements!  This has got to be the primary feature that Verizon must deal with.

20+ hours isn't going to be enough storage for the typical family!

FIOS Customers unite for e-SATA!

WE NEED MORE DVR STORAGE!

CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

Charlotte,

As you apparently monitor these fora, I'd ask that you forward the requests in this thread to the appropriate persons at Verizon and try to have them provide an answer.  There really is no apparent mechanism for providing feedback directly to Verizon, suggesting fixes, improvements, etc.  I would like to think that Verizon is indeed interested in customer service and if these requests are politely, calmly, and intelligently laid out, they would warrant consideration (at a minimum) and incorporation (in a perfect world).

Thank you

nascar
Master - Level 1

@CapnTrips wrote:

Charlotte,

As you apparently monitor these fora, I'd ask that you forward the requests in this thread to the appropriate persons at Verizon and try to have them provide an answer.  There really is no apparent mechanism for providing feedback directly to Verizon, suggesting fixes, improvements, etc.  I would like to think that Verizon is indeed interested in customer service and if these requests are politely, calmly, and intelligently laid out, they would warrant consideration (at a minimum) and incorporation (in a perfect world).

Thank you

I second this.  It would be great to directly communicate to the IMG Development Team as well as other FiOS teams.