Fios 1 audio problem with surround sound receiver
Musiclover1

Just upgraded to gigabit and got all new set top boxes.  We use the Pandora widget a lot more than TV. With the new Arris DVR the audio output has dropped considerably even with the audio level in settings maxed at 30. I have worked with two Verizon techs and the last one showed me the OK button and 2x off button to get to the box internal software.  We tried different audio settings and settled on pass through as the best but it is still anemic.  I have a hdmi cable from the Arris to my receiver and a second hdmi from their to the tv.  Sound is weaker watching TV but when I send to my Bose external speakers on the deck I have to crank the volume on the receiver to 80% or more to get a listenable sound level.  Even then the dynamics are thin and the sound weak.  The Verizon techs say its my older tech but that is just **bleep**. Audio signals are pretty standard and if you send a proper signal the equipment will respond.  

Anybody have ave suggestions on anything that can boost the audio?  I am getting real frustrated with having the birds and cicadas chirping and drowning out my music.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios 1 audio problem with surround sound receiver
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Musiclover1 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.  My receiver doesn’t have separate level controls for inputs.  I will try the second hdmi input but not sure why that would be better than the number 1 hdmi. I don’t recall anything labeled compression settings in the menu’s but worth a look.  I was following the lead of the Verizon tech while trying different settings.  My gut tells me that it’s the new Arris dvr equip not my stuff.  The change from old to new was to unplug the HDMI cable from the old Fios dvr and plug it into the new Arris.

Look at the compression settings in the new Fios box. It may have been set to high on your old box which gives a significant boost to the volume. Also make sure the volume on the box is set to fixed, level 30.

View solution in original post

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Musiclover1 wrote:

Just upgraded to gigabit and got all new set top boxes.  We use the Pandora widget a lot more than TV. With the new Arris DVR the audio output has dropped considerably even with the audio level in settings maxed at 30. I have worked with two Verizon techs and the last one showed me the OK button and 2x off button to get to the box internal software.  We tried different audio settings and settled on pass through as the best but it is still anemic.  I have a hdmi cable from the Arris to my receiver and a second hdmi from their to the tv.  Sound is weaker watching TV but when I send to my Bose external speakers on the deck I have to crank the volume on the receiver to 80% or more to get a listenable sound level.  Even then the dynamics are thin and the sound weak.  The Verizon techs say its my older tech but that is just **bleep**. Audio signals are pretty standard and if you send a proper signal the equipment will respond.  

Anybody have ave suggestions on anything that can boost the audio?  I am getting real frustrated with having the birds and cicadas chirping and drowning out my music.

Have you tried a different HDMI input on the receiver? Does your receiver have input level control for each input that could be adjusted? Have you looked at compression options in the fios menu? Can you try going optical from the Fios box to the receiver to see if that helps?

Musiclover1

Thanks for the suggestions.  My receiver doesn’t have separate level controls for inputs.  I will try the second hdmi input but not sure why that would be better than the number 1 hdmi. I don’t recall anything labeled compression settings in the menu’s but worth a look.  I was following the lead of the Verizon tech while trying different settings.  My gut tells me that it’s the new Arris dvr equip not my stuff.  The change from old to new was to unplug the HDMI cable from the old Fios dvr and plug it into the new Arris.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Musiclover1 wrote:

Look at the compression settings in the new Fios box. It may have been set to high on your old box which gives a significant boost to the volume. Also make sure the volume on the box is set to fixed, level 30.