FiOS DVR App Access with Google Wifi Setup
NewbieTim
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello. Seen a few posts on this subject but wasn't able to find my exact situation. Here's my setup

• FiOS "One" DVR box connected via ethernet cable to my quantum router (LAN) port
  • Another ethernet cable running from my quantum router to my Google Wifi primary access point WAN

Everything is working just fine with the exception of being able to access my DVR content. For some reason, I can't get the "media server" to come online. I'm able to see a list of my programs from the FiOS TV app but when selecting them (even on my own WiFi) I get a message around not being able to access the server. This also prevents me from downloading any DVR content to take with me on the go (a feature I used to love when I had Comcast). Does anyone know of how you should set this up? I've tried rebooting, refreshing.......plugging the DVR into the other Google WiFi port......all did not work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Smiley Indifferent

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS DVR App Access with Google Wifi Setup
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

First thing I would say to try is to disconnect the ethernet cable connected to the DVR. It uses MoCA from the Quantum router. It doesn’t need an ethernet connected to the LAN port. 

Next make sure your Google Wifi is set up in Access Point Mode. If both Quantum and Google are a router you will have a double NAT which may also be causing issues. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

First thing I would say to try is to disconnect the ethernet cable connected to the DVR. It uses MoCA from the Quantum router. It doesn’t need an ethernet connected to the LAN port. 

Next make sure your Google Wifi is set up in Access Point Mode. If both Quantum and Google are a router you will have a double NAT which may also be causing issues. 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also, Verizon does not support download of DVR content. You can watch remotely, but need to have internet access to do so.

smarty1973

Did this enable you to access the DVR?  I've tried everything but Verizon doesn't like when you access through any bridge or access point other than the Quantum router. Something is blocked. I was thinking there might need to be a MAC address clone with the google Wifi of the quantum router MAC address...?

0 Likes
General2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Google wifi does not have an option to set it as an access point.  That is the main reason why there is an issue using google wifi with Verizon Fios.

0 Likes
General2
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is the only workaround I have been able to do for my google app. 

I activate my verizon wifi temporarily. 

Connect my phone to the network and sign into the app.  Make sure your main DVR recognizes your new device.  You might have to authorize it.

Then turn the verizon wifi back off.

You cannot use the in-home features of the app, but because you are never connected to the verizon router wifi, you are always considered out of home, but you can watch your DVR shows.  Your on demand access is limited to out of home license issues and I don't use the app for anything else, so I have no idea what other features you are missing from the app.

This is the closest I have come to being able to use my google mesh as my primary router, have my TV and DVR still work, and have some accessibility to my verizon tv app.

Anytime you get a new phone or tablet, you must turn the wifi back on through your verizon router, connect to that network, then launch your app on the new phone while connected, and make sure your DVR recognizes your new device.

Also, I have had issues recently with the samsung smart transfer.  I think it transfers some sort of cache or setting or something over from the old phone so it is picking up the new phone as the old one, but doesn't connect properly. 

To fix, I will remove the old device from the DVR first, uninstall the app and reinstall it and then try to connect to the network and the DVR and that seems to solve the issue.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes