Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu

FIOS HD DVR external hard drive

Reply
paulg001
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-28-2010

FIOS HD DVR external hard drive

Message 1 of 16
(12,470 Views)

I see from other posts that the Verizon FIOS HD DVR will be able to use an external hard with software version 1.9. But, when is this update going to be released?

 

One of the most frustrating issues with Verizon FIOS is the lack of space on the DVR. They should be updating this software as fast as they can!!

 

15 REPLIES 15
Justin
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,173
Registered: ‎08-05-2008

Re: FIOS HD DVR external hard drive

Message 2 of 16
(12,382 Views)

 


@paulg001 wrote:

I see from other posts that the Verizon FIOS HD DVR will be able to use an external hard with software version 1.9. But, when is this update going to be released?

 

One of the most frustrating issues with Verizon FIOS is the lack of space on the DVR. They should be updating this software as fast as they can!!

 


 

Verizon has informally announced that you will be able to attach an up to 1 TB external hard drive via eSATA using IMG 1.9. The planned date is apparently 4Q2010, which means on or before Dec 31, 2010. That of course is if they make that date. There is lots of speculation that they won't make the date; all we as users can do is sit back and wait.I think Verizon is well aware that their customers want greater capacity with the DVRs.

 

I think it will be far better for them to deliver 1.9 later without bugs (or at least with fewer bugs) than earlier with lots of bugs, so I am willing to wait. Plus, keep in mind that if you have a QIP6416 DVR today you won't be able to attach an external hard drive to it because it does not have an eSATA port; you will need to get Verizon to replace your DVR with a newer model to take advantage of the new external hard drivee suppot.

 

Also, Verzion is now providing customers in some areas with a DVR with a 500 GB drive in it, so greater capacity is also being made available that way. And 1.9 is not required for that.

 

If you just can't wait, you of course have the option of buying a Tivo and getting a cablecard from Verizon.

 

__________________________________
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
QIP6416-P1, IMG 1.8, Build 02.54
Keller, TX 76248 

AlvaroH
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-29-2010

Re: FIOS HD DVR external hard drive

Message 3 of 16
(12,264 Views)

I saw on engadget that Verzion is alreayd sending out to customers in some areas higher capacity (500GB) DVR's. Ihave several questions on this:

 

Will existing customer get replacement DVR's with higher capacity "automatically" or do we have to call Verizon to trigger that?

what about customers with home Media DVR Service? Can we also get a higher capacity DVR?

nascar
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV
Posts: 1,252
Registered: ‎09-11-2008

Re: FIOS HD DVR external hard drive

Message 4 of 16
(12,233 Views)

@AlvaroH wrote:

I saw on engadget that Verzion is alreayd sending out to customers in some areas higher capacity (500GB) DVR's. Ihave several questions on this:

 

Will existing customer get replacement DVR's with higher capacity "automatically" or do we have to call Verizon to trigger that?

what about customers with home Media DVR Service? Can we also get a higher capacity DVR?


The Home Media DVR is the same as any other DVR Verizon provides.  It is just a setup change (not the DVR) made by Verizon to allow it.

 

Looks like  you need to be a new customer to get a new DVR.  They really need to give us old timers a way to upgrade and not look at us as second fiddle.

AlvaroH
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-29-2010

Re: FIOS HD DVR external hard drive

Message 5 of 16
(12,212 Views)

I agree 🙂

ekem015
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 371
Registered: ‎12-15-2009

Re: FIOS HD DVR external hard drive

Message 6 of 16
(12,122 Views)

So far I think they're only deploying the new STBs in the Buffalo area. I'm sure that will change though. There are new Motorola and Cisco models that they will slowly be adopting. But as someone said, they will probably go to new customers first.

Keyboards
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,323
Registered: ‎08-05-2008

Re: FIOS HD DVR external hard drive

Message 7 of 16
(12,051 Views)

 


@ekem015 wrote:

So far I think they're only deploying the new STBs in the Buffalo area. I'm sure that will change though. There are new Motorola and Cisco models that they will slowly be adopting. But as someone said, they will probably go to new customers first.


The Buffalo area is where they are "beta" testing the Cisco boxes.  The Moto 7232s are gradually being rolled out across the whole footprint (although with Verizon that could be years Smiley Wink ). 

 

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
joel826
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎11-08-2010

Re: FIOS HD DVR external hard drive

Message 8 of 16
(11,440 Views)

I've asked them to swap mine and they refused, saying that it's not being rolled out in my area yet. 

 

What DVR models have an eSata port?

nascar
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV
Posts: 1,252
Registered: ‎09-11-2008

Re: FIOS HD DVR external hard drive

Message 9 of 16
(11,435 Views)

@joel826 wrote:

I've asked them to swap mine and they refused, saying that it's not being rolled out in my area yet. 

 

What DVR models have an eSata port?


The new Cisco CHS 435 and the new Motorola 7232.

 

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Receivers/Equipment+Issues/QuestionsOne/128391.htm

 

http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiostv/receivers/equipment+issues/questionsone/124820.htm

 

Soon, you will be able to request one.

joel826
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎11-08-2010

Re: FIOS HD DVR external hard drive

Message 10 of 16
(11,398 Views)

Thanks for the links.  Hope "soon" is soon.

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started


Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title