FIOS Install Questions
powerspc

Greetings!

I can’t wait to get my FIOS installed but I am trying to figure out a few install issues ahead of time so that I am 100% ready.  I am in the process of rewiring my house with Fiber Optic cable (I do not want to use the crappy old copper that is here), can Verizon tie directly into my Fiber Optic lines?  Do they still need to go though the ONT if the output from the ONT is going to be Fiber Optic?  Do I need to do my own conversion at the TV, e.g., Fiber Optic to HDMI?  Or does the Verizon equipment that they will install in my house (the cable boxes for lack of a better word) have Fiber Optic “In”, HDMI “Out”?  Last I do not want wireless internet, do I need to run Ethernet cables from the install point (basement) to each computer that I want hard wired?  Any and all assistance appreciated!

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Install Questions
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon will install an ONT at the ingress point of your home.   This box is where the FiOS fiber terminates.   The output of the ONT is ALWAYS copper -- there is no fiber output -- they use Coax for delivery of TV to the STB's and also usually use the same coax for MoCA ethernet to the router (although this can be provisioned on ethernet as well, however because you will have TV service, the router will then need both ethernet and a coax conneciton since the STB's still use MoCA to communicate with the internet to get their guide data, etc. and the router bridges the two networks.

If you don't want to use wireless in your home, then you would need to create whatever home network you choose -- ethernet would be fine -- and have all the connections terminate at a central location -- it would be at this location you would install the Verizon router (which has four ethernet LAN ports -- but you can expand that using a cheap ethernet switch you can purchase from any big box store).  Remember to include a coax run and an ethernet run from the ONT to this central location for the router to connect to the ONT.

Phone service is run on the original phone wiring already in each phone jack and is connected from the ONT to the original DMARK.

There is NO provision for using fiber optic within the home with FiOS, it's all copper.  Delivery to your home is what is on fiber.

Re: FIOS Install Questions
powerspc

Thanks!  You just saved me a ton of time and money!  I will leave everything as is.

0 Likes