Re: Fios One audio sync issue
het100
Enthusiast - Level 3

I installed a Sonos Arc Soundbar with my Samsung Qled TV and experienced video ahead of audio lip sync issue with fios one ipc4100. No issues with internal apps like Netflix so it had to be caused by extra audio processing from the stb before getting to the soundbar. I accessed the hidden user settings as described by others, then to additional HDMI settings, and then set pass-through to on. This totally solved the problem. 

Soundsilencer
Enthusiast - Level 1

The easiest way to solve this problem is to hold the power button down for three seconds when either turning the tv/set box on or off. Works for me.

Anoyinnerd
Enthusiast - Level 1

In the audio settings of your Samsung TV you can adjust the audio delay or latency 

Nickster99321
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did this solution it worked only difference there was no audio sync it was called lip sync , set that to manual and kept other setting as they said 0 

het100
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update: the problem did not remain solved. Lip sync continues to be a problem between the fios stb and the TV. TV Internal apps have no lip sync delay issue whatsoever. The only "fix" is to set the audio in the user settings to lpcm. My Sonos system now determines which sounds to send to my rear surround speakers when watching on fios. Not as immersive but worth the trade-off. I still get to hear great Atmos sound over earc when watching content on the apps like Netflix, etc. Verizon and Samsung need to figure out a real fix for why sending dolby digital from the stb creates this issue, but for now it's lpcm. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@het100 wrote:

Update: the problem did not remain solved. Lip sync continues to be a problem between the fios stb and the TV. TV Internal apps have no lip sync delay issue whatsoever. The only "fix" is to set the audio in the user settings to lpcm. My Sonos system now determines which sounds to send to my rear surround speakers when watching on fios. Not as immersive but worth the trade-off. I still get to hear great Atmos sound over earc when watching content on the apps like Netflix, etc. Verizon and Samsung need to figure out a real fix for why sending dolby digital from the stb creates this issue, but for now it's lpcm. 

Checked into this and found you have to set passthrough in BOTH the service menu of the box and the user menu or it won't stay after a reboot. I'd also see if there is a firmware update for the Samsung as several people on other forums posted audio delay issues with Samsung TVs and external devices.

het100
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your response. Despite setting passthrough on both menus it nevertheless reverts back to default. Even when set to pass through, the video stays slightly ahead of audio, enough to be very annoying. I checked and I do have the latest Samsung TV firmware update. It doesn't seem like anyone with a Samsung QLED with this issue has been able to solve the problem. So far, setting audio format to Lpcm seems to be the only way to go until there is a firmware update that fixes the issue or allows for negative delay adjustment. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@het100 wrote:

Thanks for your response. Despite setting passthrough on both menus it nevertheless reverts back to default. Even when set to pass through, the video stays slightly ahead of audio, enough to be very annoying. I checked and I do have the latest Samsung TV firmware update. It doesn't seem like anyone with a Samsung QLED with this issue has been able to solve the problem. So far, setting audio format to Lpcm seems to be the only way to go until there is a firmware update that fixes the issue or allows for negative delay adjustment. 

Setting the Fios box to LPCM forces the box to handle the decoding or digital to analog conversion. In passthrough, the box simply passes on the signal to the TV or soundbar as it is received. Apparently the Samsung TVs aren't processing the audio fast enough to keep up with their video decoding over the HDMI connection. Makes me wonder if it is some problem with their implementation of eARC. Have you tried going direct from the Fios box into a regular HDMI input on the TV, not an eARC input? Just a shot in the dark. Also I've seen where having more than one device handle lip sync causes more problems than it solves, so if you have BOTH the Fios box and the TV working on lip sync, it could be creating the issue. Try going into the Fios box service menu and changing the lip sync setting to 0 or 1.

het100
Enthusiast - Level 3

Your clear and informative  description of what Lpcm does confirms that the problem is definitely with the TV. Switching to a non eARC port has no effect. I've also set sync to 0 on the stb in the user settings which also did nothing. It's absolutely unbelievable that a high end TV like this (q90r) would have this problem processing a dolby digital signal! I don't even know if a firmware update could fix the issue. All of the lip sync adjustment options on the TV and Sonos system only allow for positive audio delay when I really need a negative adjustment to speed up the audio since the video is ahead of the audio. I just don't have the patience or time to complain to Samsung which will get me nowhere anyway. Thanks again for your advice and please let me know if you can think of anything else or hear about a magical cure. 

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@het100 wrote:

Your clear and informative  description of what Lpcm does confirms that the problem is definitely with the TV. Switching to a non eARC port has no effect. I've also set sync to 0 on the stb in the user settings which also did nothing. It's absolutely unbelievable that a high end TV like this (q90r) would have this problem processing a dolby digital signal! I don't even know if a firmware update could fix the issue. All of the lip sync adjustment options on the TV and Sonos system only allow for positive audio delay when I really need a negative adjustment to speed up the audio since the video is ahead of the audio. I just don't have the patience or time to complain to Samsung which will get me nowhere anyway. Thanks again for your advice and please let me know if you can think of anything else or hear about a magical cure. 

The only thing I can think of is to keep on top of any firmware updates for that TV. Next I'd try to use as much signal processing on that HDMI input as the TV has. Enable ANY noise reduction, motion processing, color processing, anything that might create more video processing to slow down the video. Might make for a not perfect picture, but it might also bring the video closer to the audio. You could also try running the soundbar from the Optical out of the TV or the Fios box and see if that helps.