Fios ONE Box Resetting When Connected to Certain Devices
Bridge4X

I am having an issue with a Fios ONE box that keeps resetting itself when connected via HDMI to certain devices and screens. The box is an Arris VMS4100 (phase 2).

When connected to the TV (which is fairly new) it runs as it should with no problems. When the box is connected to a portable monitor (Atmos Shinobi SDI 4K) or a pass-through HDMI device (BrightSign XT-1144), I get visual for a few seconds, then the Arris box resets itself, and visual never returns. Once I connect back to my main TV, I get visual and it's displaying the Fios ONE start screen.

I've tried changing the video settings all the way down to 720p to see if it was a resolution issue, but that makes no difference. I've seen other people speak about replacing the HDMI cable. I did try a different cable and still noticed no difference.

Is anyone aware of any safeguards Verizon has maybe put in place to prevent Fios ONE running on certain devices? This is for a digital signage setup. Or does the Fios ONE box somehow pair to a particular screen/device which prevents any other device/screen from working with it?

It's such odd behavior.

0 Likes
Re: Fios ONE Box Resetting When Connected to Certain Devices
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Bridge4X wrote:

I am having an issue with a Fios ONE box that keeps resetting itself when connected via HDMI to certain devices and screens. The box is an Arris VMS4100 (phase 2).

When connected to the TV (which is fairly new) it runs as it should with no problems. When the box is connected to a portable monitor (Atmos Shinobi SDI 4K) or a pass-through HDMI device (BrightSign XT-1144), I get visual for a few seconds, then the Arris box resets itself, and visual never returns. Once I connect back to my main TV, I get visual and it's displaying the Fios ONE start screen.

I've tried changing the video settings all the way down to 720p to see if it was a resolution issue, but that makes no difference. I've seen other people speak about replacing the HDMI cable. I did try a different cable and still noticed no difference.

Is anyone aware of any safeguards Verizon has maybe put in place to prevent Fios ONE running on certain devices? This is for a digital signage setup. Or does the Fios ONE box somehow pair to a particular screen/device which prevents any other device/screen from working with it?

It's such odd behavior.

It could be an HDCP (copyright) issue between the box and the devices. The new Fios boxes look for HDCP 2.0 minimum to send video to a device, your problem devices may be HDCP 1.4 or older. That would explain the temporary connection until the Fios box senses the wrong level of HDCP and disconnects video. To use them you need a device that gives you an HDCP 2.0 input, and an isolated output. Check Amazon, they can be had for around $20. Also the Atmos is a broadcast based monitor and most likely doesn't support HDCP 2.0. The Brightsign says it DOES support HDCP 2.0, so maybe the problem is with the monitor you have connected to it not supporting the correct level of HDCP. You could also try setting the Video Resolution in the Fios box to 1080i, but I believe the box auto scans for the resolution capability of the device you connect it to. You may have to go into the service menu of the Fios box to set the resolution to 1080i and see if that works. Also remember the Fios box does 2160P 60fps 4K video by default, and if it doesn't sense that, it will not work unless it sees the device is capable of a lower resolution. . Can you play the output of a 4K bluray player into either device without issues?