FIOS Quantum Setup
rj2014

After reading all of the negative comments posted on the forum, I decided to relay my experience with the FIOS Quantum TV upgrade.

The entire process works "when you follow the directions."

I actually save money by changing my previous equipment, which consisted of 2 DVR's, replaced by one Media Server and 3 clients in the new setup.

Equipment arrived in one box, efficiently packaged, including return label for old equipment.

The new system required me to change the router which was the only semi-problem I encountered. The router was not part of the initial shipment and after calling customer service, I recieved it via one-day shipping.

Excellent guides came with the equipment, walking the customer through each and every step of the process.

It works great, and good job developing the experience for self-help customers looking to save money on installation.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Quantum Setup
Mendes9
Contributor - Level 1

So I have the Fios GB http://www.actiontec.com/214.html router, will I have to change that?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Mendes9 wrote:

So I have the Fios GB http://www.actiontec.com/214.html router, will I have to change that?

No, that router should work. I have one working with my VMS just fine.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@rj2014 wrote:

After reading all of the negative comments posted on the forum, I decided to relay my experience with the FIOS Quantum TV upgrade.

I guess I don't view the comments as being particularly negative. Sure there have been some problems, but overall I think the experiences have been pretty positive. Since I was pretty early in the cycle I got the original software, plus I had an old forgotten NIM-100 on my network that caused me an installation problem, but the code updates have fixed several problems. And I am sure there are more code updates coming, with new function as well as fixing some of the lingering problems, like occasional slow response to the remote, and the lack of support for the Aspect (#) key.

Overall I am very happy with my VMS installation after 2 1/2 months, glad you are too.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
ChuckB
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does either the the VMS server and/or the Client STBs work with eSATA external storage drives? Or are you limited to the storage that Quantum TV provides you?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@ChuckB wrote:

Does either the the VMS server and/or the Client STBs work with eSATA external storage drives? Or are you limited to the storage that Quantum TV provides you?

There is no support at this time for attaching an eSATA drive to the server. There is an eSATA connector on the server (not the clients) but at this point it is inactive. The general concensus seems to be that Verizon will deliver eSATA support sometime in the future.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
harley8004
Enthusiast - Level 3

@rj2014 wrote:

The entire process works "when you follow the directions."

I actually save money by changing my previous equipment, which consisted of 2 DVR's, replaced by one Media Server and 3 clients in the new setup.

Equipment arrived in one box, efficiently packaged, including return label for old equipment.

The new system required me to change the router which was the only semi-problem I encountered. The router was not part of the initial shipment and after calling customer service, I recieved it via one-day shipping.

Excellent guides came with the equipment, walking the customer through each and every step of the process.

It works great, and good job developing the experience for self-help customers looking to save money on installation.

congratulations on your self installation. we had no choice on having self installation here in Maryland. was told we had to have tech installation due to this was NEW to our areas so no self installation was available.

4 hours, numerous issues not to mention service that doesn't work as advertised (pause live tv whole house and view anywhere, fios digital voice not accessible via the TV)

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I live in Md and did self install no problem.

And you can pause live TV on any box. Plus pick it up on another (as long as they are off the same VMS).

Not sure what you mean that FIOS DV is not available on TV.

0 Likes