FiOS STB cannot maintain COAX connection to router
thatonegeekguy

Hey all!

Sorry if this has already been covered.  I have 2 STB's, recently installed.  One is fully functional.  The other was fully functional for the first few days, but now is unable to hold onto an IP address.  It is occasionally able to pull down Guide data, but that is it.  This is evidenced by the "Offline" status Under "System Information" in the box menu as well as the silly number of DHCP requests generated by this box in the router log.  Video signal is fine.  I've ruled out the splitter as I had a better splitter lying around that exceeds the basic requirements (i.e. - 1000mhz, etc.) that I put in.  It's possible it's the cable, but this does not explain the several days it worked flawlessly.  I was just wondering if anyone had any other troubleshooting options aside from the obvious (reset, etc.), what has already been covered on this forum (disconnect/reconnect in sequence), or what is covered by the FAQ.  Any help would be appriciated!  Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: FiOS STB cannot maintain COAX connection to router
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about the boxes losing its connection. I would recomend a factory reset of the router (by holding down reset button for 15 seconds) to clear all previous connection information and reboot the STB by unplugging power cord then putting back in. If you are still having troubles after that, please send me a private message.

0 Likes
thatonegeekguy

I'll try that when I get home and let you know if it works.  Thanks!

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Two items ...

1. You don't have any "amplifiers" in the mix anywhere do you?   These are incompatible with FiOS TV and must be removed as they block the MoCA return path necessary for the devices to be able to see each other over the coax.

2. Any open / unterminated coax connections?  Terminators where one half isn't connected to anything or wall outlets that are open but still "live"?   Noise is not your friend here and I initially had lots of strange issues with both the Internet and the STB's until I either removed open terminations or put a terminator on them to keep noise for getting into the system (terminators can be bought cheaply on eBay and other sources in packs of 10 or so for a couple of bucks).

0 Likes
thatonegeekguy
Still having the same issue. The router says it see's the box. The box, however, tells me that it is Offline and lists no IP address, even though the router is assigning one. I have no amplifiers or unterminated connections in the house; everything is as the FiOS technician left it. Of course, it was all working, then. Anyone have any ideas before I call the local FiOS store to see if I can swap this box?
0 Likes
goodtwin315
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issues, which box do you have?

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

If it's a 7232, suggest a new box -- go online to Verizon chat to report.  You've pretty much done everything you should to troubleshoot.  My neighbor had the exact same problem and the first STB had a defective networking function.  The second has been solid since received several months ago.  I've heard of a number of similar network issues -- perhaps they have a bad batch of 7232s.

0 Likes
goodtwin315
Enthusiast - Level 2

hmm  wonder if I could have got  2 bad boxes back to back.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

swap boxes between the two outlets.

Does the problem follow the box or stay with the outlet?

If it follows the box, you have a bad box.

If it stays with the outlet, then you have a bad cable run (check for a bad splitter, old coax, broken shield, etc.)

0 Likes
goodtwin315
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem follows the box. Think I got 2 bad boxes back to back? I have a third coming now.

0 Likes