Fios TV app won’t stream unless connected to Actiontec router
Viewer4
Enthusiast - Level 2

It appears Fios TV will only stream if you are connected directly to the actiontec router without any intervening WiFi extenders.

I have a long apartment that requires me to add WiFi access points to the actiontec router to get coverage throughout the space.  The WiFi on the actiontec is disabled, and the access points are connected via cables to the actiontec Ethernet ports.  The access points are in bridge mode, so no NAT is used between my devices and the actiontec. However, I use a different SSID and password on the APs than on the actiontec. 

Fios TV will show my DVR content, the program guide etc. just fine in this configuration, but will not stream video. It will only work if I connect directly to the actiontec WiFi SSID but not if I am connected to the AP SSID. This seems like a bug or some deliberate and senseless  limitation. 

Anybody else run run into this?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Fios TV app won’t stream unless connected to Actiontec router
iBlaineman

I had the a simular issue becuase I have WIFI turned off on the FIOS router and have a wireless router as an access point with DHCP recieved from the FIOS router. I didn't see anywhere you could choose a WIFI connection during setup to choose a WIFI connection only the directions to hit the WPS button on the FIOS router. I happen to have a Asus EA-N66 I set to bridge mode and connect VMS4100 mini streamer with eithernet.  Sadly I couln't get the EA-N66 to connect to my 5ghz network so I hope 2.4ghz will be OK but haven't really watched TV on it yet.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a similar setup.

quantum router with a router set in bridge mode to be a wireless access point.

different ssid.

Can stream DVR content no problem.

have you verified that device and DVR are on same subnet?

Viewer4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  I checked and it is on the same subnet.  Still mystified.  The app can see the DVR content but the minute I try to stream I get a spinning wheel, and it errors out with "unknown error try again later".

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try removing add and reinstalling.

If that still doesn't work, use in app support to create ticket.

It will also send logs to help them diagnose issue.

Re: Fios TV app won’t stream unless connected to Actiontec router -- NOT SOLVED
Viewer4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks everyone for all your help so far.  I have been trying to find time to go through your suggestions but every one has failed so far.

For some reason this is marked at solved.  It is most definitely NOT.  I have tried (a) removing my device and re-adding (b) deleting and reinstalling my app (c) following the in-app help (which rebooted all three STBs).

Nothing works.  So this is definitely NOT SOLVED.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is an option to report issues in the app.

Have you tried that?

0 Likes
smarty1973

I have the same issue and have reported it. The reply is that the app will not support this setup. They purposefully block it and want to sell you their own packaged access point. Part profit, part support headache they are trying to avoid because they were spending too much time trying to troubleshoot everyone’s setups. It’s too bad really because I have all the same exact settings on bridge mode (inc SSID) and it still doesn’t work. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am using quantum router with a second router in bridge mode.

It is actually using separate ssids from FiOS router.

And it works just fine.

I am using android tablet

0 Likes
pbiddle

Ok, I had the same problem (using iPhone iOS), and I found somewhat of a workaround.  I have a separate long range access point so I can get WiFi in my backyard, and the ActionTec router’s WiFi range is too short.  So here’s what I do if I want to watch a Watch Now Program or one of my DVR recordings using my secondary long range access point on my iPhone:

First I get in range of the ActionTec router and connect to that WiFi. Then I start up the FIOS app and navigate to the point right before clicking the Watch button.  I then switch my WiFi to my secondary access point, and before it completes I quickly (using iPhone task mgr) go back into FIOS app and click the Watch button.  Usually I can get in and it starts playing, and in the background it finishes switching over the WiFi.  Then I can walk into my backyard and my program continues playing.

I also notice I can do the same if I initially disable WiFi and start playing the program from my wireless LTE connection.  But I think the options for which channels are available for Watch Now might be more limited that way.

Good Luck.

0 Likes