Fios TV availability in Kirkland WA
RJBlankenship

I would like to know when Fios TV will be available in My area. We lived through them tearing up the streets and installing the new fiber. That was last spring. We were promised Fios TV then. It is still not available. What the problem. The central office is less than a mile away and still no service.

{edited for privacy}

Message Edited by KaLin on 05-15-2009 02:05 PM
0 Likes
Re: Fios TV availability in Kirkland WA
matcarl
Master - Level 1
If you're in Washington, you may never get it now. Didn't you hear, Verizon sold everything to a company called Frontier.
Message Edited by matcarl on 05-15-2009 01:51 PM
0 Likes
RJBlankenship
What do you mean everything? Wireless? land lines?
0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
0 Likes
RJBlankenship
Also  Remember we are talking Washington state...you know Oregon, Idaho, the upper left hand corner of the map.
0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
I know, that's what the deal is for, 14 states, including yours. You better edit out your phone number in your original post, I told the moderators to do it but they haven't yet. Don't put your number in a public place.
0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2

I found this online for you:

Deal With Verizon Includes 110,000 FiOS Internet, 69,000 FiOS TV, 164,000 DirecTV Customers

Todd Spangler -- Multichannel News, 5/14/2009 12:26:00 PM MT

Frontier Communications said there will be no changes in service over the next nine to 12 months for customers of Verizon Communications' FiOS Internet and TV services, as well as DirecTV customers, covered under the $5.3 billion deal with Verizon announced Wednesday.  Frontier is acquiring all of Verizon's local wireline operations in 14 states. The deal encompasses 110,000 FiOS Internet customers, 69,000 FiOS TV subscribers and 164,000 DirecTV customers, according to the companies.

According to Frontier spokesman Steve Crosby, before the deal closes in the next nine to 12 months customers will see no changes to their services. "For the next year, the company will be run by Verizon personnel," he said.  The "current thinking" is to continue offering FiOS TV after the integration with Frontier is complete. Crosby said the telco will evaluate its overall product offerings once that happens.  "They have a partnership with DirecTV, clearly they also have FiOS, and we have a partnership with Dish [Network]," he said. "We'll evaluate all three, and evaluate what's best for the customers to make sure the customers get what they want."

Wachovia Securities broadcast and cable analyst Marci Ryvicker, in a research note Wednesday, suggested the deal could benefit Dish, on the assumption that Frontier will undertake "aggressive marketing" of a synthetic triple-play bundle to former Verizon customers in those 14 states.  The operations Frontier will acquire include all of Verizon's local wireline operating territories in Arizona, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. As of year-end 2008, those operations served approximately 4.8 million local access lines, 2.2 million long-distance customers and 1.0 million high-speed data customers (including the 110,000 FiOS Internet subscribers).  Of those states, Verizon has built out the fiber-to-the-premises FiOS network in Indiana, Oregon, Washington and South Carolina passing approximately 600,000 homes and small businesses.  Verizon has 41 local franchises in Oregon and Washington, as well as a statewide franchise with Indiana. In South Carolina only FiOS Internet is available, not the TV service.

Under the deal, Verizon Business is retaining contracts with its customers in these states and will purchase local exchange services from Frontier in order to serve these customers. Approximately 11,000 Verizon company employees, who primarily support the local phone business that is being acquired, will continue employment with Frontier after the merger.  The deal requires approval from Frontier shareholders, certain regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions, including Frontier's ability to obtain financing.

0 Likes
plasmatron

So, Frontier says no changes in service for the 9 to 12 months it takes to get approval for the deal, and "current thinking" is to continue offering FiOS TV. This seems vague. When Verizon lured me away from DirecTv and Earthlink last fall and bound me to a 2-year contract, I didn't think my HDTV/ high speed internet/landline service was going to be quickly sold to a small company that specializes in delivering slow speed non-video signals over copper wires to farms.

I adore my FiOS here in Woodinville. The TV signal is uncompress and extraordinary, far superior to anything DirecTv, Dish or Comcast offers. Likewise, the 20/5 internet is incredible. I can stream Netflix to my TiVos at HD quality.

If Frontier, which has zero experience with fiber optics nor television signal delivery, in any way degrades my current experience, I'll be dumping my family's BlackBerry wireless plan with Verizon in response. Hello AT&T and iPhone.

To anyone in the Seattle area considering FiOS: I'd suggest holding off until we see what Frontier does with this. They've purchased mainly copper wire in 14 states. Unfortunately, only a small portion of that is fiber, with an even smaller portion FiOS TV. 

0 Likes
h4xdaplanet

I have FiOS and I live down in Redmond, so maybe it'll be coming to you sooner than later.

On the thing with Frontier, what does that mean for us FiOS subscribers in the affected area?

0 Likes