Re: Fios Tv can no longer be called "STUNNING" after img 1.60 update!
Yaco
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

Any news on he problem? I called and they reset my box ,overnighted my box and told me they know nothing of this issue. I sent the box back, it had same issue.Now they want to waste more money on a truck roll,

LeeRobot Mad

Message Edited by Yaco on 10-22-2008 04:56 PM
0 Likes
hosehead1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Any updates?

After several disappointing calls to CS, I have gotten no where.  They are sending a truck to my house to check the signal (just installed yesterday, BTW), but from what I have heard, swapping a 6xxx for another 6xxx will do nothing.  My SD picture is garbage.  Everything is soft and fuzzy, even moreso on channels like Fox Soccer Channel.  It is as bad as it ever was on Comcast...

I had such high hopes for FiOS TV, and I am bitterly disappointed...

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
yes the Fuzzy picture is being resolved in the next upcoming upgrade 1.7 I was advised of a November December release but has not been confirmed as of yet
0 Likes
munch357
I noticed it too when I received the update.  I was playing around with the menu and noticed that there is a SD override option that selects the resolution for non-HD channels.  There is a 480i, 480p and Off option.  I put the 480p option on to see what it does and agree that non-HD channels are very blurry and out of focus.  I returned to the same menu and turned the option Off and the non-HD channels went back to looking how they were before the upgrade..  Might want to play around with the dispaly options before spending hours on the phone with customer service..
0 Likes
hosehead1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Techman28 wrote:
yes the Fuzzy picture is being resolved in the next upcoming upgrade 1.7 I was advised of a November December release but has not been confirmed as of yet

Perhaps you could pass this along to the rest of your tech support folks, who haven't the foggiest clue that the problem exists?
I have to leave work today to go home for a service call so they can tell me there is nothing they can do...

0 Likes
billymets
Enthusiast - Level 3

well my fios PQ SD and HD has been both the same on both versions 1.5 and 1.6. I am in Staten Island, NY. Since no MSG HD and MSG + HD, I am going back to Time Warner Cable, for more or less the same service. FIOS is good for ONE BILL with VERIZON WIRELESS and HD is better than TW Cable, but HD is watchable on TW Cable. my 3 months is up on November 20, I will be at TW Cable come Tuesday October 28. ALot of other things I dont like about FIOS has to do with it too, look at my fourm, GOing back to TW , switch from FIOS on the dslreports.com website. When FIOS was installed August 20, it was an evaluation / test of how I see it. I think 2 months of it , is more than enough time of an evaluation.

Oh well its back to Time Warner Cable and having all 4 NY Regional Sports Networks in HD .

0 Likes
snowmon

1.6 may as well be considered a step back. sd picture quality now equals comcast status (bad). unless i set sd to stretch i have to cycle power on-off when switching between hd and sd. hdmi/hdcp issues which were non-existent prior to 1.6 now a problem. comcast is raising the bar on internet speeds and i'm considering switching back.

0 Likes
jbr60
On Demand quality is subpar also. I've had better reception with rabbit ears!
0 Likes
Searay90

I live in Flower Mound TX.   We got the 1.6img update last week and it finally fixed the issue with HDMI connection at 1080i causing the "beveled edge" on the left side of the screen........  It took Verizon alomost two years to fix that issue they say they knew nothing about.    Now the SD channels and SD VOD look like crap..   all out of focus and blurry.  This is only an issue on the HD DVR 6416 model.   The two stand def QIP2500 STB look fine .     SO once again verizon has taken one step forward and two steps back with the latest update to the software/firmware on the 6416 models.   My take is that they used more of the CPU bandwidth and memory 1) fixing the huge delays in navigating the VOD menus , and 2) adding all the new stuff that their IT guy Shygon loves to tout to the street.    So now I have faster menu response in my VOD , but the wife and I can't stand to watch any of the SD VOD on our 46" Sharp LCD 1080p TV.  It actually hurts our eyes because we are trying to focus on something that is out of focus to start with. 

And yes I have tried each of the SD output setting (off, 480i, 480p, etc) and they all look the same on SD output.      Now if we go to watch the same things on the 32" CRT TV attached to the QIP2500 STB in another room it looks fine.   So it's not the signal coming into the house........ its what they did to the QIP6416 this time around.

Come on Verizon........... you continue to lose customers by putting out untested junk like this in the market and then deny that there is an issue with it when we call the customer support centers.   

This needs to be fixed ASAP, or I am going to drop my FIOS Tripple play and find and alternative.   I've been with you guys with the TV service since it was frist offered in Flower Mound....  but being a continual BETA tester and paying the ever increasing prices for your service is coming to an end.

0 Likes
jlbaird
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Searay90 wrote:

I live in Flower Mound TX.   We got the 1.6img update last week and it finally fixed the issue with HDMI connection at 1080i causing the "beveled edge" on the left side of the screen........  It took Verizon alomost two years to fix that issue they say they knew nothing about.    Now the SD channels and SD VOD look like crap..   all out of focus and blurry.  This is only an issue on the HD DVR 6416 model.   The two stand def QIP2500 STB look fine .     SO once again verizon has taken one step forward and two steps back with the latest update to the software/firmware on the 6416 models.   My take is that they used more of the CPU bandwidth and memory 1) fixing the huge delays in navigating the VOD menus , and 2) adding all the new stuff that their IT guy Shygon loves to tout to the street.    So now I have faster menu response in my VOD , but the wife and I can't stand to watch any of the SD VOD on our 46" Sharp LCD 1080p TV.  It actually hurts our eyes because we are trying to focus on something that is out of focus to start with. 

And yes I have tried each of the SD output setting (off, 480i, 480p, etc) and they all look the same on SD output.      Now if we go to watch the same things on the 32" CRT TV attached to the QIP2500 STB in another room it looks fine.   So it's not the signal coming into the house........ its what they did to the QIP6416 this time around.

Come on Verizon........... you continue to lose customers by putting out untested junk like this in the market and then deny that there is an issue with it when we call the customer support centers.   

This needs to be fixed ASAP, or I am going to drop my FIOS Tripple play and find and alternative.   I've been with you guys with the TV service since it was frist offered in Flower Mound....  but being a continual BETA tester and paying the ever increasing prices for your service is coming to an end.

This message sums up the problem really well.  How can Verizon FIOS talk about the super clarity of their pictures, and then put out SD pictures that make people

feel that their eyes are going bad? 

Also, I've noticed that the direct digital cable that comes in as HD, which I feed straight to my TV, produces a better picture than the one that comes through the STB  -  try it, and compare

e.g. NBC HD or PBS HD coming straight from the cable with that coming through the STB.  

There's a lot I like about FIOS, but several things I don't at all - and this tops the list.

0 Likes