Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu

Fios TV Install

chiro80
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Fios TV Install

Message 1 of 16
(2,405 Views)
I have Fios internet and phone. The router is on the 2nd floor and the phone box is in the basement. I presently have rirect tv. How do I connect my TV's? I assume There is something on the floor behind the router that looks like a coax connection. Is there a fios connection (coax) in my basement for me to look for? Lastly if I have video on demand do I need a DVR? John
15 REPLIES 15
hlppls
Silver Contributor I
Silver Contributor I

Re: Fios TV Install

Message 2 of 16
(2,374 Views)

Direct tv isolated the coax line from the dish to the tv's from the coax to the router. You just need to use a splitter to reconnect the coax line from the verizon service box. 

hlppls
Silver Contributor I
Silver Contributor I

Message 3 of 16
(2,372 Views)

You do not need a dvr for video on demand. I would recommend you get one. I can't live without mine.

walt178
Gold Contributor II
Gold Contributor II

Message 4 of 16
(2,363 Views)

@chiro80 wrote:
 Lastly if I have video on demand do I need a DVR? John

The DVR will allow you to:

1. Watch a show and record a show at the same time.
  2. Record 2 shows at the same time.
  3. Watch a recorded show while recording 2 other shows.

If none of those capabilities appeal to you, you do not need a DVR.  The DVR will not improve your video on demand experience.

gs0b
MVP MVP
MVP

Message 5 of 16
(2,355 Views)

It's not clear from your post if you are using DirectTV or FiOS for TV service.

If you are still using DirectTV, do NOT connect the FiOS coax from the ONT to the coax from the antenna.  The FiOS coax should go only to the FiOS router while the DirectTV antenna coax goes to your DirectTV STB.

If you are using FiOS for TV, then completely disconnect all the Direct TV equipment.  The coax from the antenna should not be connected to any FiOS equipment and should be neatly labeled and left unconnected.

Note that you do not get access to FiOS on-demand programs unless you have FiOS TV service.

Good Luck.

chiro80
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 6 of 16
(2,331 Views)

To clear up matters, I presently have Direct TV for TV service and Fios for internet and phone.

If VOD gives me access to a few weeks of programs, why do I need a DVR?

The cabling still has me confused. My FIOS router is in my second floor BR. Do I go down to my basement and disconnect the Direct TV Coax connection? I have wall plates behind all my TV's to attach the STB's. But how do I attach FIOS TV cable to the wall plates, where does it run from and to? 

TomH309
Gold Contributor V Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Message 7 of 16
(2,346 Views)

This is my present set up.

EQUIPMENT LAYOUT 11 24 2013.jpg

Tom
Router G3100,Mini IPC 4100,YAMAHA ATS 1080,VMS 4100, iPad2 WiFi ,,iPhone SE
walt178
Gold Contributor II
Gold Contributor II

Message 8 of 16
(2,326 Views)

@chiro80 wrote:

To clear up matters, I presently have Direct TV for TV service and Fios for internet and phone.

From the Direct TV site:      "To start enjoying DIRECTV on DEMAND, all you need is an HD DVR connected to your home broadband Internet service with the DIRECTV CINEMA Connection Kit."

For information on Direct TV services, your best source of information would be their website and forum.

sangs
Silver Contributor IV
Silver Contributor IV

Message 9 of 16
(2,322 Views)

@walt178 wrote:

@chiro80 wrote:

From the Direct TV site:      "To start enjoying DIRECTV on DEMAND, all you need is an HD DVR connected to your home broadband Internet service with the DIRECTV CINEMA Connection Kit."

For information on Direct TV services, your best source of information would be their website and forum.

^

This. You get no On Demand programming available from Directv without an HD DVR, that's why you need it. Directv downloads On Demand programming to the hard drive of a DVR. It's not available from a server like it is from FiOS.

chiro80
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 10 of 16
(2,292 Views)

Wait,

I have Direct TV service presently as well as a Direct TV HD DVR. I do not need to contact Direct TV about its use. As I previously stated, my Direct TV plan does not have an equivalent feature to FIOS Video on demand. The only way I can save a program I want to see at a later time is to record it on my DVR. And I can only record 2 programs at one time or watch one program and record another.

A recent excursion to a friend's house who has FIOS and while watching some favorite programs, my friend showed me his Video on Demand feature, which automatically saved programs like The Blacklist or Elementary for the previous 4 weeks. 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title