FIOS TV is giving off a loud beep between programs and commericals
malesandro
I am currently using the FIOS Home Media DVR and have noticed a loud 2 second beep that happens when a program goes to a commerical or vice versa.  The beep happens quite often when watching any of the sports channels especially ESPN.  Does anyone have a suggestion why this happening? My guess is the broadcast network channel is sending a signal between the commercial and program that be a delay audio stream.  Please provide your suggestions.
0 Likes
Re: FIOS TV is giving off a loud beep between programs and commericals
VAFiosTech
Enthusiast - Level 2
need a little more info, is this on an HD box on HD channels? If yes, HDMI connection or component? If it is HDMI on HD channels, it is possible that the signal change between HD programming the channel is putting out and the SD commercials it changes to, may be causing that beep. This is a known issue with HDMI in general switch between the different signal types.
0 Likes
jusdndy
I have the same issue.  We have an HD DVR with an HDMI connection.  We did not have this problem with Dish Network and the same HDMI connection.
0 Likes
GeekNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a new (within the last month ot so) issue and it's related to HD STBs and it might be specific to those using optical audio. I'd be very, very surprised if this is new news to Verizon support. It sounds like an alarm buzzer going off and it seems to only occur right after local Verizon injected commercials and only on HD STBs.

You (Verizon) can read more about it here as well:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22220467-Strange-beepbuzz-at-the-end-of-VZ-commerials

0 Likes
spbrbnj
Same problem here (NJ). I also have my HD box hooked up through optical audio. Just called Verizon tech support - They didn't really know anything about the issue. They said they would write a ticket for the Video team, but he noted one ticket probably wouldn't prompt them to fix anything! Hope more people call to complain so maybe the issue gets resolved.
0 Likes
GeekNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2
It might be that one specific reps first time hearing it (which itself is bad news), but it certianly isn't the call center or Verizon's first time hearing it.
0 Likes
Sweetlilbug
I think I got y'all beat as far as hearing that beeping sound. Our box isn't even on and it's beeping. Sounds like a watch beeping. Sometimes get a single beep and other times we get a double beep. We switched to a new box a month ago HD Motorola HDMI connection and then we start hearing a beeping sound. We have another one just like it in the living room and it does not beep. Verizon can not be so ignorant to the fact that their boxes are emitting a beeping sound because many people have either called and complained or sent them an email. All I know is that the beeping is driving me nuts! TV is off, box is off, just displaying the time and then all of a sudden BEEP..... 5 minutes later .... BEEP BEEP..... 10 minutes later .... BEEP! Verizon this is driving me frickin' nuts, figure it out or the box gets it! 
0 Likes
silver
We are having the same problem only it is not exclusive to one station. We have had 3 Fios service calls and none of them have figrued it out. Every time we call the rep says it is the first they have heard of it. We have a dog who now refuses to be in the family room when the TV is on. He actually hides upstairs. One service tech said it was the cable located too close to a power line so he separated them it didn't help. Then one said it was a bad line from the street, but had no aswer. The next said it was an old DVR so after much much begging they sent us a new DVR, guess what it is not the DVR. I'm so frustrated I am looking into other service providers. I'm so happy, sorry for your issues. that we are not the only ones. This is crazy. If you have this problem, please please please call and complain. Maybe they'll figure it out. In the mean time, mute your TV during commericials!
0 Likes
GeekNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, it is still occurring and it has nothing to do with your specific installation, the age of the DVR, the number of sets in your house, the height of the STB off the floor, the type of carpet in the room where the TV is. your favorite breakfast cereal or any other excuse some rep might suggest. It does seem to be specific, from the reports I've seen, to those usin gthe optical audio connectio between the STB and their audio receiver/television. And since I've been hooked up that way for years (since the day it was available in my town), it has nothing to do with the STB or receiver since this is a more recent issue. Something in one of their firmware releases caused the issue.

As for the reps not knowing - either they aren't telling the truth, they don't read communications about the issue or Verizon isn't communicating this issue to the reps. Regardless, they aren't going to be able to help.

Not sure if you want to try changing your audio connection from the STB to whatever receives the audio, but it could address the current issue.

0 Likes
srfios1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I getting the same problem here.  I've got the Home Media DVR and I am using an optical connection from the STB to my home theater system.  Has anyone heard anything more about how Verizon is going to address this issue. 

I wonder if they have some sort of audio beep to insert commercials into the video!?  They may be using this technology for targeted ad insertion.

0 Likes