FIOS TV: No Sound From STB on Power Up
shanefisher1

Hi,

I've had FIOS TV service for about six months now and while I'm enjoying the service and the picture quality, I've been experiencing one particularly nagging issue.  I'm wondering if other Verizon FIOS customers have experienced this and can point me to a resolution.

I apologize in advance that I don't have model numbers in front of me, but will reply to this thread with that info if it is needed.

Setup: I have my STB connected to a Sharp Acquos 46" via HDMI for video and to an older Harmon Kardon receiver over an optical cable for digital audio.  Unfortunately I have to use my TV as the video mux (this model has 3 HDMI inputs) and the reciever as the audio mux (3 optical inputs) since it's an older receiver and doesn't have HDMI inputs.  I use a logitech Harmony remote to simplify all of the startup tweaks/switching.  I'm also running my XBOX 360 through this setup with no issues whatsoever.

The problem: Frequently, when I start my components to watch TV, I have no audio signal coming from the STB.  The only way I've found to fix it is to continuously reboot all of my devices and then suddenly something "catches" and audio starts working.  It's a strangely intermittent problem and lately I've noticed that I can get it to work by just repeatedly powering on and off my Sharp TV until the sound kicks in.  I can't imagine this is an issue specific to my TV since it plays perfectly well with my XBOX using the same setup (HDMI video, optical audio).

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?  I found this thread, which seems close:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Problems-with-QIP-7100-and-Sharp-Aquos-TV/...

Thanks,

Shane

Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: FIOS TV: No Sound From STB on Power Up
VZ_Constance
Contributor - Level 1

Hello shanefisher1..sorry to hear of your trouble. Sounds like it could be a communication issue between the tv and the STB, We have found that switching to component cables has been helpful in most cases. Hope that helps!  

0 Likes
shanefisher1

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is far from being an optimal solution, as it means I have to downgrade my video signal, defeating the purpose of having a full 1080p HD TV.  Are there no firmware fixes for this on the STB?

Thanks,

Shane

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@shanefisher1 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is far from being an optimal solution, as it means I have to downgrade my video signal, defeating the purpose of having a full 1080p HD TV.  Are there no firmware fixes for this on the STB?

Thanks,

Shane

Using component still gives full 1080i HD resolution (maximum that the Moto STB is capable of doing - there is no 1080p mode from any of the currently available Verizon boxes).  It is still not ideal since it causes the STB to convert the incoming digital stream to analog and your TV to convert the analog back to digital.  As with any conversion between the analog and digital domains there is the possibility (probability) of some signal degradation due to quantizing and linearity errors in any Analog-to-Digital or Digital-to-Analog converter.

That being said, many don't see a difference between HDMI and component and some even like component a bit better.  YMMV.

0 Likes
mleduc35651
Contributor - Level 2

IF you have component cables handy it can't hurt to try it just to see if that is the issue. If the issue persists then you have elminated one possible cause.

I do occasionally have an issue when i turn on my equipment where I have no audio. Changing the channel up or down usually fixes it. Every now and then I have to turn everything back off and back on and it works again no problem.

0 Likes