FIOS TV on my PC at a remote location?
dbm_nj

I was told that it was possible to get a second account that will allow me to access FIOS TV on my PC at a remote location (vacation home) - is this true? 

If so, I have a few questions:

1. Is there a telephone number to call to establish the link?

2. What equipment do I need to do to set it up? (I have a Dell laptop).

3. What software will I need to use?

4. What types of restrictions can I expect?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS TV on my PC at a remote location?
Techman28
Master - Level 1
alas what you want to do is not get a 2nd account but you want to get a slingbox which would be cheaper in the long run and if you have internet you can login and view your TV from your computer on any computer...........However it is something that Verizon doesn't really support and I don't know how to set it up. I have contemplated as to purchasing a sling box for my Mother in-law to Catch my Local Kansas Jayhawks when they aren't on national TV.
0 Likes
dbm_nj
Thanks for the info - but what is a "slingbox", who makes it, and where can I buy one?
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
I will leave you with this Link to discover the wonderful world of Slingbox enjoy 😉
0 Likes
GaKaye
We have a Slingbox, but have been unable to use it remotely because our FIOS router keeps changing the IP address assigned to the Slingbox.  What is the solution to that problem?
0 Likes
dalhectar
Enthusiast - Level 1
DynDNS has a free service, you can use that to link a dynamic IP address to a free domain name.
0 Likes
GaKaye
I'm sorry, but I don't understand how that will allow me to use my Slingbox remotely.
0 Likes
dalhectar
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, you're familiar that your IP address moves around, like 72.45.123.12 one day, and 72.45.132.42 the next.  I'm assuming the problem you're having is that once FIOS changes the IP address, you lose access to your slingbox becuase it's now slinging from another IP...

What if you could have a free service that linked whatever IP address your router gets at home to a DNS address... like "gakaye.dnsalias.net", so all you'd have to do is link your remote Slingbox to gakaye.dnsalias.net instead of whatever IP address your router automartically gets?  That's Dynamic DNS.  Dyndns is one of several free Dynamic DNS services.

The link below might help, shows you how to use a software program that can run on a PC that will update "gakaye.dnsalias.net" so "gakaye.dnsalias.net" points to whatever IP address your home router has.  To be honest I think Actiontec's firmware also has built in dnydns support, but since I use a D-Link router and am at work, I'm not sure.

https://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/dyndns-updater-guide.html

If your home network's router has dyndns support,  Just create the free account, the free host, and give your router the account info, and your router will update the IP info without the need of downloading a PC client.  Otherwise it'll be best to download a software client that will update the IP address for when it changes.

Once setup you can use your slingcatcher software or hardware, tell it to go to "gakaye.dnsalias.net", and watch your slingbox content while on the road.  The updater running from home (or your home router if your router supports it) keeps the dns address up to date.

Message Edited by dalhectar on 11-05-2008 02:01 PM
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
I think if you re-read the OP it says the Slingbox address keeps changing, not the WAN.  If that is the case one needs to go into the router and set up a static IP for the Slingbox and I think that would solve the issue.
0 Likes
GaKaye

Actually, I'm so confused now I don't know which one is changing!  I had thought that the router was changing the IP (It's DHCP service), but just now when Sling help ran my setup AGAIN, they had to change it in Slingbox setup and not on the router.  I'm thinking the server is changing it, and then when I run setup again because it doesn't work remotely, then Slingbox is picking up the wrong one??

0 Likes