FiOS TV One VMS4100 DVR - Modify User Settings
megadude2112
Enthusiast - Level 1

I received and installed the new FiOS TV One STBs - 2 VMS4100 DVRs and 4 IPC4100 Mini One STBs. I am experiencing audio sync problems with the VMS4100 DVRs. On the previous DVRs (VMS1100), I experienced the same audio sync issue (as a side note, the IPC4100 STBs do not experience the sync issue). However, I was able to correct the sync by changing the HDMI audio output setting to L-PCM. On the VMS1100, the internal settings could be accessed by holding down the D key on the remote (on the new remotes, there is no D key). Once in the settings, the HDMI audio could be changed to L-PCM.

Talking with a Verizon tech support rep this morning (who was very friendly and eager to help), he discovered that the FiOS TV One equipment is so new, that there is barely any support documentation available (at his level, anyway). So, he had to contact higher support. Initially, we reset the Quantum router and disconnected/reconnected the coax cable to the DVR. Didn't work. Then, he was able to find out that the internal settings menu can be accessed via the new remote by pressing Power, then the OK button twice. Worked like a champ. All the settings were present, to include the HDMI audio settings under User Settings. Sure enough, the HDMI audio output was set to AC3. Awesome. Scrolled down to the HDMI audio setting, and . . . discovered that there is no capability to modify the settings. Frustrating to say the least. The tech suggested using Component cables to connect the DVR to the TV; however, the new STBs do not have Component jacks - just RCA Composite (which I am not using!).

So, having laid out the situation, does anyone have any experience or technical knowledge of the Arris VMS4100 of how to modify the internal settings? Any information or suggestions would be much appreciated.

P.S. I have already changed the audio output settings via the normal user settings from Surround to Stereo, with no luck.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS TV One VMS4100 DVR - Modify User Settings
RadagastVA
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just went through similar issues with my Denon AVR-1909 receiver, when I upgraded from the Verizon Fios VMS-1100 to the new Verizon Fios One VMS-4100 and Fios One Voice Remote.

I was able to enter the diagnostics and user changes menus mentioned in this thread, but did not see any way to defeat the remote's resetting of the input on my receiver, or to change the selected input as needed.  Perhaps I just missed them, but . . . 

As it turns out, every time you power on the VMS-4100 with the Fios One Voice Remote, it resets the source (input) on your receiver (on the Denon, it resets to the default "VCR" source for HDMI 3).  This also "defeats" the "set to last used input" feature of the Denon receiver.  I had (for last decade or so) connected my Verizon STB/DVRs to my receiver via the TV/CBL input (which I reassigned on the receiver to HDMI 3).

The HDMI-CEC settings on the new Fios One Voice Remote apparently messed this up, for me at least.  In fact, you can even turn the Fios One VMS-4100 on and off at the box itself without affecting the input to your receiver (i.e., the input to receiver will stay at the "last used setting" if you turn the receiver and/or STB off and on again).  BUT, if you turn the Fios One STB off/on with the Fios One Voice Remote, it will always reset the input on the receiver (eg, to "VCR" on the Denon AVR-1909).

The solution?  I left HDMI-CEC on, but reassigned the receiver's VCR input source to HDMI 3 (ironically, the receiver's default), renamed that source to Fios One and now all is well.

View solution in original post

arthurlockman1

I have exactly the same problem. I can’t figure out how to change the setting either. 

0 Likes
Anth_iv

I’d like info on this as well. Have a Denom s910w receiver and for years have had issues with very inconsistent audio with FiOS. Happened on my arris vms1100 and now again with the new vms4100. Can’t take it anymore!

0 Likes
megadude2112
Enthusiast - Level 1

UPDATE: Broke down and bought a Yamaha soundbar. Ran HDMI from the VMS4100 to the soundbar, and then from the soundbar to the HDMI ARC port on the TV. Sync problem solved. Not the most efficient solution, but lips match sound, and sanity restored. Would still prefer, though, to only have to connect the VMS4100 to the TV.

JimYes
Enthusiast - Level 1

Good thinking on the sound bar.  I just got the same setup but use the optical audio output to my receiver since it's older with no HDMI input and haven't had audio sync issues

mitch0531
Enthusiast - Level 3

@megadude2112

I recently upgraded and also having audio sync issues. LG 4K TV and Vizio 5.1 sound bar. When I try HDMI from vms4100 to sound bar then HDMI from sound bar to HDMI Arc on TV, I lose the 4k upscale option. Can only set video to 1080 and not 2160 so I would be giving up better video resolution. I didn't leave it that way long enough to see if sync problems we're resolved. Wondering is you are able to set video to 2160 with your setup from Yamaha sound bar.

0 Likes
mitch0531
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update - I could not get into user settings with power and then pressing ok twice. As soon as you press power it turns the box off. In any case if you have the old remote, the old method of pressing and holding thetgreen D button for 10 seconds still works.  I was able to get into user settings and then additional HDMI settings and it let me set audio output to L-PCM.  So far I am not having a/v sync issues any more. Let's see if it sticks or if the problems return.

mitch0531
Enthusiast - Level 3

one more update on this. I realized how to get into user settings on the new remote. As prior user stated, you need to press Power then OK twice. However, pressing power turns off both the STB and your TV.  So when pressing power point it away from your TV so that the TV stays on but the VMS4100 powers off.  Or use your TV's remote to power the TV back on with the VMS 4100 off. Then press OK twice.  But this will actually put you in diagnostics so that you cannot update any settings.  From there press the left arrow which will bring you back to the main menu and then you can select the user settings menu.  In their you will see additional HDMI settings, click on it and then you will see HDMI Output probably set to Auto. Use the arrow keys to change the value to L-PCM and then press OK too save the value otherwise it will revert back.  Hopefully verizon will update the VMS4100 so that this will not be necessary.

jjk100

I have a Bose sound bar and can't get the remote to sync to control volume and my ir repeater won't operate the box. Any Ideas ?

0 Likes
mitch0531
Enthusiast - Level 3

For some of my devices I had to do a manual setup.

This link has info on all the remotes but the first one is for the new voice remote.  I pasted the section on how to do this below.  Try step 2.

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/equipment/remote-control

Steps to control your TV or Audio using your Fios TV Voice Remote.

After you’ve paired your Fios TV Voice Remote to your set top box, HDMI-connected TVs and Audio systems should automatically be detected and be controlled by your Fios TV Voice Remote.

1. Go to Menu > Settings > Voice control > Fios TV Voice Remote > Program Voice Remote > Automatic Setup
    1. Once the automatic setup completes you’ll see a “Success” message in the top right of the TV screen,
    2. If this does not work for you, please skip to step 2.
  2. Go to Menu > Settings > Voice control > Fios TV Voice Remote > Program Voice Remote > Manual Setup
    1. Select your TV or Receiver Brand and Model and follow the steps,
    2. You will see a “Success” message in the top right of the TV screen when the setup is complete.