FIOS (TV, PHONE and Internet service installation)
VERSCRN
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am currently a DSL customer, I am considering switching to FIOS for TV, Phone and Internet service but have several questions I would like to know before I commit to the service.  I would appreciate your assistance in trying to answer my questions below.

My home is currently wired with RG6 cable, is it possible that FIOS would be able to use the existing RG6 wiring to provide TV service?

The ONT and power supply will be placed inside the home in the basement, near an outlet.  How is phone service provided  under FIOS, I know Verizon would use twisted pair cat3 but where is the cat3 cable that comes from the ONT connected to?

My office is on the second floor, that is where the FIOS Router will be placed,  I know that the Router has a Cat5 and RG6 connections coming from the ONT.  Is the customer responsible for laying these cables in place before the day of installation or is Verizon responsible for bringing these cables as part of the install?

Is there a price list of the monthly charge for HD and standard receivers?

How many TVs can be connected to each receiver and is there a monthly charge for multiple TVs? 

Is there any other charge involved for the receivers?
Is FIOS capable of having four TVs in different rooms broadcasting different channels, and is there an additional charge associated with this feature?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS (TV, PHONE and Internet service installation)
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@VERSCRN wrote:

(1)  ... is it possible that FIOS would be able to use the existing RG6 wiring to provide TV service?

(2) ...  where is the cat3 cable that comes from the ONT connected to?

(3)  ...  I know that the Router has a Cat5 and RG6 connections coming from the ONT.... is Verizon responsible for bringing these cables as part of the install?

(4) ... Is there a price list of the monthly charge for HD and standard receivers?

(5) ... How many TVs can be connected to each receiver and is there a monthly charge for multiple TVs? 

(6) ... Is there any other charge involved for the receivers?

(7) ... Is FIOS capable of having four TVs in different rooms broadcasting different channels, and is there an additional charge associated with this feature?

These forums allow peer-to-peer communication among users, although VZ employees often provide information also.  You have asked several questions that require either further research on your part, or direct contact with Verizon Communications.  Having said that ...

(1)  Yes.

(2)  To the existing telco wiring.  Details depend on your existing wiring.

(3)  No, it does not have both Cat5 and RG 6 connections to the ONT.  It's one or the other, and in your case probably RG6.  Verizon charges for some wiring and does not charge for other wiring.  Contact the company for your specific requirements.

(4)  Yes.  Search MyVerizon for details.

(5)  Does "receiver" mean STB  or DVR?  If so, one.  For specific charges, contact Verizon.

(6)  Contact Verizon.

(7)  Each TV needs a "device" (STB, DVR, adapter, etc.)  There is a charge for rental devices.  For details, contact Verizon.

View solution in original post

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@VERSCRN wrote:

(1)  ... is it possible that FIOS would be able to use the existing RG6 wiring to provide TV service?

(2) ...  where is the cat3 cable that comes from the ONT connected to?

(3)  ...  I know that the Router has a Cat5 and RG6 connections coming from the ONT.... is Verizon responsible for bringing these cables as part of the install?

(4) ... Is there a price list of the monthly charge for HD and standard receivers?

(5) ... How many TVs can be connected to each receiver and is there a monthly charge for multiple TVs? 

(6) ... Is there any other charge involved for the receivers?

(7) ... Is FIOS capable of having four TVs in different rooms broadcasting different channels, and is there an additional charge associated with this feature?

These forums allow peer-to-peer communication among users, although VZ employees often provide information also.  You have asked several questions that require either further research on your part, or direct contact with Verizon Communications.  Having said that ...

(1)  Yes.

(2)  To the existing telco wiring.  Details depend on your existing wiring.

(3)  No, it does not have both Cat5 and RG 6 connections to the ONT.  It's one or the other, and in your case probably RG6.  Verizon charges for some wiring and does not charge for other wiring.  Contact the company for your specific requirements.

(4)  Yes.  Search MyVerizon for details.

(5)  Does "receiver" mean STB  or DVR?  If so, one.  For specific charges, contact Verizon.

(6)  Contact Verizon.

(7)  Each TV needs a "device" (STB, DVR, adapter, etc.)  There is a charge for rental devices.  For details, contact Verizon.

VERSCRN
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your assistance in clarifying the installation process.

0 Likes