Fios TV Severe Pixelation
Awombat

Our FIOS TV has become basically unwatchable on a large number of stations - which happen to be the ones we actually watch. The issue started with some mild pixelation around the end of the year on a couple of stations, but has become progressively worse.

I've tried to find a solution, and followed everything suggested on boards / by Verizon - resetting the box, resecuring all cables, checking all cables, running diagnostics, and so forth, but to no avail.

Discussions I've read also suggest that even when a tech shows up, resolution is iffy, So, is there a solution / hope for this, or do I investigate alternatives?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Fios TV Severe Pixelation
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its possible it is an ONT issue which a tech could resolve.

What model STB do you have?

Have you checked the MOCA speeds to see if there is maybe a bad cable?

Or tried bypassing as many splitters as you can to see if that is bad?

0 Likes
Todd4816

Did you ever resolve your pixelation issue? Ours is awful and we’ve had four Verizon techs  come out to try to fix it.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What have they done?

Does it happen on more than 1 TV?

On all channels?

0 Likes
Todd4816

All TVs with HD boxes except server box

@CRobGauth wrote:

What have they done?

Does it happen on more than 1 TV?

On all channels?

. We’ve tried unplugging various boxes, new server and new system equipment...nothing’s worked.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you swap VMS and IPC around, does the problem follow the box or stay at the same spot?

Could be cabling or splitter problem.

0 Likes
Megan3371

Hi.  I've been dealing with this pixelation issue for over a month now.  Have you gotten any answers on this issue?  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Projec206

I am in NJ and have had the same issue as you. I tried calling customer service, which was absolutely useless.  Thinking of making the switch to Comcast if it doesn't get rectified soon.  No idea where to go from here.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What have you tried?

Have you checked all coax connections (starting at ONT)?

Does it happen on all boxes?

What model STBs do you have?

If you have more than one and it doesn't happen on all boxes have you tried swapping them around?

0 Likes
DIYDAD
Enthusiast - Level 2

PROBLEM SOLVED

I am a Verizon Fios customer and have been as far back as I can remember.  I am taking the time to share this with existing customers, future customers and former customers.   Approximately 3 weeks ago ALL of my set top boxes began to pixelate, freeze and distort beyond any kind of satisfactory view-ability ( not sure if that’s a real word ). Being what I believe to be an experienced D.I.Y. Individual I performed several troubleshooting measures. Many of these recommendations came from men and women on this forum and others and for that please let me share my gratitude. Being unfamiliar with the innner workings of Verizon Fios it was nice to read some prior posts which allowed me to have a starting point. My troubleshooting consisted of resetting router, resetting ONT mainframe, rebooting DVR/Media boxes, auto correction of DVR/Media boxes, testing of all coax cables (used the following tester: Klein Item #876R984), swapping DVR/Media boxes from room to room, changing old nickel splitters for new gold splitters, using termination caps on any unused splitter ports, calling Verizon Fios Customer Service and having them boost the signal and run diagnostics on their end which did confirm low SNR as well as poor and locked reportings of the service.  Despite all of my efforts and the efforts of the Verizon Fios Technical Support Team we were unable to successfully diagnose and correct any of the issues. At this point an appointment with a Verizon Fios Technician was scheduled. 

Technician arrived ahead of schedule at which point we discussed television issues and what had been done to correct. Technician hooked up a probe to ONT, ran a diagnostic and immediately was notified that the ONT had malfunctioned.  He 1st installed a new updated ONT ( which was defective right out of the box) then installed a 2nd.  Within minutes of him updating server information with new ONT serial number all of my Verizon Fios DVR/Media boxes were working flawlessly. 

Closing advice to any DIY individual would be this; feel free to troubleshoot as best as you can. It may be bad cables, splitters etc. if it’s not just make the call and have the Technician come in and test. Hope this helps. Lastly, all of this was covered by Verizon Fios as it was a defect on their end. 

0 Likes