Re: Fuzzy Standard Picture, great HD
Reaper
Enthusiast - Level 3
I had the same experience with poor SD quality when I got FiOS about two months ago. However, I recently received the 1.6.1 software update (in Seattle) and now the SD channels look great, nearly DVD quality. This is a big change from Dish Network and DirecTV, their SD feeds look like crap. It's kind of wild to actually be able to watch SD channels again.
anialw
Enthusiast - Level 2
How do I go about requesting this upgrade in the DC area (falls church, VA)?  I really hate the way this looks and do not want to pay more money to get more channels in HD as that is not something I have to have.  In fact I got this so I can reduce my overall bill and not be forced into buying more stuff.>  Any help would be appreciated.
0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Poor SD picture quality (on an HDTV) has been my biggest dissappointment with FIOS TV since I signed up last September. Having just come from Comcast, it was obvious from day 1.

It was so bad compared to Comcast I had before, I almost cancelled. HD picture quality on FIOS is excellent.

I read a couple of posts on the internet and I changed the SD settings on my  DVR from 480i to 480p and it resulted in a dramatic improvement in picture

quality. SD picture on my HDTV  went from "unwatchable" to just "okay or watchable". It is still not great or as good as I had with Comcast. As a number of posters have

pointed out,the new IMG 1.6.1 fixes the issue. The release of the new IMG has been delay since it ended up causing audio problems for some folks in the two

or so markets it has been released to already.

SD picture on an SD TV looks very good.

0 Likes
Reaper
Enthusiast - Level 3
anialw: Verizon will push the update to your market when it's ready. The update caused some audio problems with Toslink out (which I fortunately don't use) so they're probably fixing that first before pushing an update to the entire country. The update is software version 1.6.1 so you can search for that keyword on this and other forums for additional information. HTH.
0 Likes
MJ_123
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am so glad to see the posts from reaper and fiostvman as well as anialw, for two reasons:

--I know I am not losing my mind, as I thought I was after saying that my picture quality wasn't good and having most people say "what, FIOS quality is much better!"

--it sounds like the upgrade to 1.6.1. will help this issue.

I have two more questions:

--do any of the three of you notice that HD quality is less consistent across channels, and within a given channel, with FIOS compared to Comcast?

--is there a comparable key to the "live" key on the Comcast remote? 

--how do you check to see which version of the software you have?

I am beginning to think I might be able to live with FIOS if change is coming 🙂

Thanks so much for the helpful posts.

0 Likes
Reaper
Enthusiast - Level 3

MJ_123:

I've never had HD with cable (only Dish Network and DIRECTV) so I can't answer your first question. I can speculate that perhaps because Verizon does not further compress their channels, inconsistencies from different content providers may be more apparent.

I believe that the FiOS TV button causes the DVR to switch to live TV. I use a Harmony universal remote so I'm not quite sure.

I'm not in front of my TV at the moment but I think to find your software version it's something like Menu > Setup > System Information.

I'm guessing at most of this but I hope that it is of some use to you.  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
MJ_123
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, Reaper!

Right after I last posted I watched the video about the DVR remote and saw that the FIOS TV button is the way to get to live TV.  Not very intuitive 😞

Thanks for the direction about how to see what version one has; I see that I have 1.6.0.  I think I have decided to stay with FIOS and hope the upgrade to 1.6.1 comes soon.  I have movie channels right now without ordering them, so I will take advantage of those.  Plus I can't stand the thought of switching my service back over.

0 Likes
anialw
Enthusiast - Level 2

First of all I want to thank to all of you who have confirmed my "fuzzy picture" issue was not in my mind or immagined.  I swear when the tech heard me say that he thought I was crazy and when I was seriously upset at him saying he does not see an issue and cannot compare as he did not see my previous service I asked him if he heard this complain before.  His answer was "yes, for the past 2 years I do at least 5 installs a day and have only heard it 4 times".

I am on vacation now and decided to see how I feel when I return home whether to wait this out for a fix release or cancel.. I am really tempted to cancel, although it will be a hassle I am really irritated that Verizon does not feel this is a significant issues, that the techs deny it, that when you call customer service they think I am crazy.

Thanks again, I will try some of the settings suggested and see how I like it.  Hopefully the release will be coming out in the next 2 weeks before my 30 day cancelation time 🙂

0 Likes
DMZ
You're not crazy anialw, my SD channel picture quality sucks too!  My TV is a 6 year old Sony 36" XBR (Sony's top end at the time) 4:3 tube that switches to 16:9 HD automatically when I go to an HD channel and the HD channels look great.  My mom has a low end 36" Sony that doesn't have HD capability driven by Time Warner through an S-Video cable.  Her picture quality makes my FiOS SD picture look sick! 
0 Likes