Google WiFi working with Fios wireless TV boxes
NoobDad

I just had fios triple play installed with two wireless TV boxes --- no easy way to run coax to one area where we have our TV located. Issue I have is that wireless TV box is getting a poor WiFi signal and pausing.

I have google WiFi to setup a mesh, but how to I get my Fios wireless TV box to connect to the google WiFi?

I tried turning WiFi off on the quantum router, connecting ONT to Google and Google to WAN port on Quantum without any luck.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Google WiFi working with Fios wireless TV boxes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Currently, the Mini boxes only work on a Verizon router or Moca extender.

It uses a secret SSID as well as some other features that are only supported by Verizon router.

Kctracy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue, I have the new One boxes and have google Wifi in my house, Verizon needs a work around here, every household is using third party WiFi Solutions so Verizon should allow the One boxes to connect via a mesh network, I.e google 

PRBone
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue for me, I've been waiting for a solution for almost a year now. 

Sean8780
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue here, most remote TV "One Mini" doesn't mesh with my Google Wifi so going to have to connect to coax which I wanted to avoid by getting this system.

VERIZON PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE!

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can connect via ethernet as well.

I assume you have a FIOS router as well?

If so, just enable the wifi to be able to support wireless connection to minis.
Give the other SSIDs a bogus setting and nerver use them for anything in your home

As for fixing it, I would think it is done on purpose. This way they don't have to provide tech support to those who aren't sure how to set up thier router.

The FIOS router gets configured with everything needed to support minis via wifi.

General2
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem is Google Wifi cannot be configured as an access point.  Fortunately or unfortunately, your solution may be using Netgear Orbi.  They can be set to an access point.

The other solution which isn't really a solution in my opinion.  You only use one Google wifi device and set it to bridge mode.  It can only be done as a single device.  Then you can effectively use it as an extender.

I have not tried either of these, but I have talked to poeple who have.  I don't personally know how effective either of these solutions are.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes