Guest house
Nomonc
Hi, we're building a guest house behind our current house. It will be about 150 feet from the ont and will probably have 3-4 cable outlets. I was thing of options.

1. I could do direct burial rg6 (may loose too much signal).
2. Direct burial rg11 , and have vz hook it up.
3. Just let vz handle it all.

Wondering if anyone has gone through this....what vz would charge, etc. thoughts?
0 Likes
Re: Guest house
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

How many outlets do you have in existing house?

Running 150ft and then splitting to 3-4 more outlets (all active at one time?) can add a lot of loss.

I would suggest that you make cable a home run and connect to splitter closest to ONT.
And if you don't plan to use all of the outlets, I would run to a closet where you can patch in only the one(s) needed to minimize the splitting needed.

And look for low loss RG6.

BTW, I wouldn't leave it up to FIOS (or any cable company) as they will use the cheapest cable.

Good Luck

0 Likes
PJF310
Enthusiast - Level 2

AFAIK they advertise $50 to add a new line. It doesnt specify must be in same dweling 🙂

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

I would run RG11 to the guest house to minimize loss. Use the RG6 for the coax outlets inside the guest house.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PJF310 wrote:

AFAIK they advertise $50 to add a new line. It doesnt specify must be in same dweling 🙂

Be careful there.  They, and others, have been known to insist on a seperate contract for guest houses, even rented rooms in the same house.

Even if they agree I suspect they would charge more.

Probably best to run the line yourself.  RG11 would be good for longer runs.

0 Likes