Have to hit replay and skip buttons twice usually on DVR
wessock
I've got a 7216 DVR with the 1.6.2 firmware. Anybody else having a problem with the 10 second replay and the 30 second skip buttons (or however long you have them set for) not working correctly? I'd say 70% of the time I have to hit each one twice to actually skip ahead. I know the box recieved the button press because instead of skipping ahead or rewinding, it actually rewinds about 1 second for either button. Only after I hit the button a second time does it actually advance/rewind the recording the appropriate amount of time. Like I said, it's not every time, but a majority of the time, and gets very very annoying.
0 Likes
Re: Have to hit replay and skip buttons twice usually on DVR
downfall21
Enthusiast - Level 2

@wessock wrote:
I've got a 7216 DVR with the 1.6.2 firmware. Anybody else having a problem with the 10 second replay and the 30 second skip buttons (or however long you have them set for) not working correctly? I'd say 70% of the time I have to hit each one twice to actually skip ahead. I know the box recieved the button press because instead of skipping ahead or rewinding, it actually rewinds about 1 second for either button. Only after I hit the button a second time does it actually advance/rewind the recording the appropriate amount of time. Like I said, it's not every time, but a majority of the time, and gets very very annoying.
You're not the only one. I have had this issue since the first day I got FIOS.
0 Likes
wessock
Good to know it's not just my box. It has to be a firmware issue then since the comcast moto boxes don't have the problem. It's annoying to the point that the buttons are almost pointless. It becomes easier to just fast forward or rewind the old way.
0 Likes
iamhe

Verizon caused this problem a few months ago when they pushed one of their major firmware updates.  It wasn't the last update, nor the one before that ... I believe it was three major updates ago when I began noticing the problem ... which of course means that they failed to fix the problem with the subsequent updates.

I spoke to a customer service rep last night and mentioned this problem.  He said that the problem is supposed to be fixed in the next firmware upgrade.  However, based on my overall experience with that particular rep, I don't put much stock in his information.  I believe he either lied, or didn't know of what he spoke.  (He was truly awful.)

0 Likes
wessock

Thanks for the info. It's pretty much what I figured so I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm at least glad they're aware of the problem, by others complaining if nothing else. Fios firmware is still above the comcast firmware though. That one still made a 1 inch green bar on the side with most TVs using HDMI connections. The early versions of the firmware were horrible. There was always some collection of bugs that, no exaggeration, would cause a recording to fail/not record at least 50% of the time.

Do you have any idea when the next firmware is going to be pushed through?

0 Likes
iamhe

I apologize, I just can't remember what the rep said (or even if he said anything) concerning when the upgrade will be available.

I'm supposed to have a field rep at the house today to resolve a quality-of-service issue.  I'll ask him if he knows and post back here if he provides any information.

0 Likes
iamhe

The technician just left; he didn't know when the next firmware update would be pushed.

On an unrelated note, the technician was excellent;  very knowledgeable and thorough.  Contrast that with the guy who did our FIOS installation a few months ago who didn't even know what 802.11 was.  In my experience, Verizon customer and support reps are either truly outstanding, or truly abysmal, with very little in between.

Message Edited by iamhe on 04-25-2009 12:01 PM
0 Likes
forya1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got my Fios 2 days ago (switched from Dish Network).  I noticed this, and was annoyed with it too. 

I think that you have to wait 1 second between multiple forwards, or reverses then it seems to work.  With my old Dish DVR i would just hit that 30sec jump like 4 times quickly everytime a commerical would come up.

0 Likes
mmoris5820
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called tech support and they told me that they've never heard of that problem before.  Obviously, they aren't reading these forums.  He also said he'd check it out and have somebody call me back within 48 hours.  That was 2 weeks ago.  I guess I was talking to one of the Abysmal tech support guys.

I forgot to add that sometimes when I hit the skip button, the recorded show jumps back to the previous time that I started hitting the skip button.  i.e.  If I hit the skip button 5 minutes into the show, and then didn't hit it again, say 15 minutes into the show, the recorded show jumps back to the 5 minute portion of the recorded show.  Then, I have to just use the fast forward button to get back to where I was last in the show.

The only way to fix the problem temporarily is to unplug the STB for at least 30 seconds.  Then, it works great for another week or so before it starts up again.

Message Edited by mmoris5820 on 06-11-2009 01:32 PM
0 Likes