Re: HD boxes dropping sound
Hubrisnxs
Legend

awesome post and great fix,  I'll be anxious to see if others can do this and get the same result you did.   KUDOS!

0 Likes
wingless

I printed out your directions and tried it and it worked for me. It's a **bleep** shame that after 4 calls to Verizon tech support that they couldn't offer this remedy to the problem. I went through 2 boxes and multiple resets trying to get the problem resolved to no avail. Than you very much for not having your head up your rear ( like tech support) and passing this on to others

0 Likes
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

I tried this on my HD DVR to no avail. I power off the DVR, hit Select, but when I hit Menu it turns the DVR back on and displays the IMG. Am I doing something wrong in the sequence?

Steve

0 Likes
ConcernedUser
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just went to my box to try some things out.  I believe you have to hit the buttons quicker.  I think if you pause too long between the power button and the next one, it just turns the TV back on when you hit menu.

HTH.  Write back with results.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@spacedebris wrote:

@ConcernedUser wrote:

*Another rep said that HDMI uses an intricate protocol and device incompatibilities do occur.  He steered me to use Component Cables and assured me that I would not suffer image problems because Verizon only broadcasts in 720p anyway (neither was true, although component cables will solve my sound problem)

Actually, this rep had it nearly correct. The only error he had was the 720p. Verizon broadcasts up to 1080i. Other than that, he had it perfect. HDMI does use an intricate protocol. There is currently no universal standardization for HDMI yet so when Verizon updated HDMI to fix some issues with some TV's it breaks it for others. Until a universal standard is issued for HDMI, manufacturers will continue to use different protocols and cause incompatibilities. Component cables do not use this protocol. They will carry the 1080i resolution just fine. The only thing that HDMI does currently that the component cables do not are 1080p resolution (that Verizon does not use, only BluRay players use the 1080p so its a moot point here) and the HDMI will be needed for the 3d television. Again not available on Verizon now. So Component cables are the solution to this and all other HDMI issues.

I was pretty sure component cables did 1080p?    

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

tting the rhythm or timing right for the power select menu thing is tough.    I had to do it like ten times my first time to get the rhythm right,   after that muscle memory kicks in and I can do it on command.   it definetly works, you just have to keep trying it. 

Just count out 1 2 and 3 at a medium to slow pace, and then hit the power select menu at that pace, and you should get it.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@Hubrisnxs wrote:
I was pretty sure component cables did 1080p?    

Well if you get down to the nitty gritty, then yes, technically it can carry the 1080p but in ANALOG. In order for 1080p to really be used to get the benefit of the higher resolution, it needs to be carried DIGITALLY. Otherwise it is such a miniscule difference. 1080p is much better than 1080i but only in digital format. The analog just cannot do it justice. And that is really the true difference between HDMI and Component. Component is analog and HDMI is Digital. In the lower resolutions, the difference in quaility is negligible. Its the high end that really shines with digital.

0 Likes
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

I am able to get a menu of 12 options, D01-D12. None of them allow me to update the config. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

0 Likes
ConcernedUser
Enthusiast - Level 2

"I am able to get a menu of 12 options, D01-D12. None of them allow me to update the config. I am not sure what I am doing wrong."

Your menu sounds like it is different than mine. What model STB are you on?  

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

steve, you're looking at the diagnostic menu and not the user settings menu.

diagnostics are usually a power select select

user settings are power select menu.

give it a few more tries with that second one,  power select and then menu