Re: HD boxes dropping sound
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

Got it to go....thanks!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

cool deal,    make sure to report back to home base and let us know if it works for you.  

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

question for concerned user and anyone else that has used this fix succesfully.

do you still get your surround sound?    

I was talking about this on another forum, and they insist that you will lose surround sound. 

do any of you guys use a home theatre and have you noticed any difference in your sound?

0 Likes
heidihp

I'm happy that some are getting some satisfaction by using an RGB cable, but we are looking at basic TV quality and I am VERY unhappy that I spent $1000 for a hi-def TV only to find that I have a choice of losing sound or watching basic quality TV. It seems to me that Verizon should be sending out targeted firmware updates. I had no problems before the last upgrade. If Verizon only sent out the last fix to those who were having problems, it would have made much more sense. I have not been as happy with Verizon's service as I had hoped I would be... now I'm angry!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@heidihp wrote:

I'm happy that some are getting some satisfaction by using an RGB cable, but we are looking at basic TV quality and I am VERY unhappy that I spent $1000 for a hi-def TV only to find that I have a choice of losing sound or watching basic quality TV. It seems to me that Verizon should be sending out targeted firmware updates. I had no problems before the last upgrade. If Verizon only sent out the last fix to those who were having problems, it would have made much more sense. I have not been as happy with Verizon's service as I had hoped I would be... now I'm angry!

take a look at the fix from concerned user. it doesn't involve using RGB cables and may help you out too.    Verizon is also putting out fixes to firmware, to correct verizon issues, their updates don't come out monthly though, they come out I think 3 times a year for real or major updates.  so the next one I think is set for june/july time frame.   If you're having this problem then try the fix that is listed by concerned user. it may help you. 

0 Likes
jnmarshall
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not sure if this is related, but I had Fios TV installed last week. With the installation I was given a 6200 and 7100 stb. All worked well. I am not using HDMI. All connections are component. That nite I noticed I was turning the TV up to almost 80%-90% of it's volume range on the one connected to the 7100! I never had to have it that loud. It became annoying when I noticed hissing or feedback during silent breaks! I contacted fios support and after the usual 20-30 minute hold time some one assisted me in playing around with volume settings. No luck. They overnighted a replacement box. Another 7100. Got it up and running and has the same problem. On my own I decided to swap the 7100 and the 6200. Of couurse the problem moved with the box to the other TV. Called fios and again after another 20-30 minute hold went thru all the same steps again. They overnited a new box. This was Friday so the box didn't show up till yesterday. Guess what? This time it was a 6200! I plugged it in, got it activated and the sounds is great!

Out of curiousity over the weekend I searched the internet to see what the difference was with these boxes. What I found were press releases this month of Verizon providing greener boxes with these 7000 series that are at least 20% more energy efficient. So now I'm thinking what they are saving in energy is reducing the volume!

0 Likes
ConcernedUser
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't answer that very well, because I only have a sound bar, and also because my hearing is pretty bad (too many concerts).  I am definitely getting stereo and I think I am getting a middle channel, although I should play with some audio samples to see.

LCMP can, in theory, support 7.1 surround http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_pulse_code_modulation

That said, there are a lot of people who know much more than I do about audio.

Lastly, there is a "Passthrough" setting instead of LCMP.  Maybe that would be better, I don't know.

0 Likes
ortiz34
Enthusiast - Level 3

If this happens on my DVR I rewind it for a few seconds or change the channel and then change back and it comes back, no need to power off.

This is using an HDMI on a SONY TV

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@ConcernedUser wrote:

I can't answer that very well, because I only have a sound bar, and also because my hearing is pretty bad (too many concerts).  I am definitely getting stereo and I think I am getting a middle channel, although I should play with some audio samples to see.

LCMP can, in theory, support 7.1 surround http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_pulse_code_modulation

That said, there are a lot of people who know much more than I do about audio.

Lastly, there is a "Passthrough" setting instead of LCMP.  Maybe that would be better, I don't know.

L-PCM can support upto 7.1 and 8 channel sound, but no provider broadcasts l-pcm and takes advantage of the multi channel. 

Some users who have it plugged in with a home theatre system will notice that it drops to 2 channel stereo sound, but if you have dolby pro logic iiz or iix then it will transform two channel stereo into 5.1 surround in a heart beat and it will sound pretty nice still. 

So even though it's stereo - you can still get it to sound pretty nice if you have the right receiver.

0 Likes
awfrance

I am having the same issue since an update was installed on two of my HD STB's. One is connected via HDMI, the HD DVR uses HDMI for video, but I have a Digital Audio (fiber) cable from the STB to my surround system. I noticed that the fix from ConcernedUser specifies to change the HDMI settings in the special config menu, will this work for the Digital Audio output also?

0 Likes