Re: HD boxes dropping sound
awfrance

I tried this and found absolutely no difference when set to L-PCM. However, the volume does restore when set to Pass-through, but the sound is hollow and way to heavy on the center channel, im assuming that this setting changes the output to 2-channel. If you have anymore suggestions I would appreciate it.

0 Likes
virtuo0

I have a similar issue with the sound. It was not dropping but i am not getting any sound on power up sometimes.  I just found a workaround without changing the sound settings from the Additional HDMI settings.  When i turn on the tv if the channel is HD then i am not getting sound. Switch to a regular digital channel and come back to HD channel is doing the trick.

0 Likes
the_sasquash
Enthusiast - Level 1

Good Luck on this one. Verizon has no clue or the person who works for them that does didn't tell anyone else,

I have had Verizon fios and internet for about 5 months and everything was perfect until I replaced the one standard stb to an hd model when I replace my old clunker for a flat screen. I simply called and ask for a hd box and they walked me thru ordering the hd box online. Within two days I had 3 boxes coming my way in 2-3 weeks and 2 services calls scheduled. I guess more is better. I finally got the first box by ups and it would not activate. I had to find a local store and take it to them and get another hd box.

That one activated but then my sound trouble began. I can watch any had channel and then the sound breaks up and then go's dead. If I change the channel then it works fine even if I change back to the troubled channel. I have had numerous online chats , phone calls with Verizon. I have received several new 71001 boxes with the same results. The answer from Verizon was to send me a set of component cable and say it was fixed. Yeah if I don't want to attach my DVD player so that was unacceptable. So after more chats I had one tech promise to send me a Cisco box after I told them I saw online that the problem was the motorola stb. Guess what I got by ups the same Motorola 71001.

Now Verizon says to make sure to check the hdmi cable. I have used the 3 they sent and 2 I bought. I have borrowed friend DVD players with hdmi output and it works fine. I even plugged my TV into the the other cable box using all combinations of hdmi cables and no trouble. The only hope I have is possibly the 71002 box (I thing its a long shot) but the TV in my front room is attached to one and no trouble..

I am sorry about being long winded but this is crazy and now Verizon is saying I have to have the TV certified that its OK before they will talk with me per the last call. Oh and by the way I have had to already call billing at least once to clear off an stb that I turned into the store. Luck I had a receipt.

0 Likes
tencan1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is losing sound on HD channels when switching channels on Vizio TV using HDMI cables..Reported this issue to Verizon several months ago and was told that a software upgrade for the Motorola 7000 series box was in process. Contacted tech support  and was informed that indeed they were aware of the issue and component cables could be used instead of HDMI until a fix was available. Refused to accept this solution since I pay for a fully functional HD box.  I was finally offered a new Motorola HD box (7002 series) and was told it contained several software upgrades and the fix for my problem was included.

Installed the new 7002 series Motorola box today and it has the identical problem-losing sound when switching HD channels. Does any one have a solution for this issue other than procuring another cable tv provider that has equipment that will work with HDMI cable.

0 Likes
andra

I also have sound dropping when using my hd dvr box it can get pretty annoying.  I dont even bother to call customer service anymore it  never does any good I just waste my time on hold forever.

0 Likes
the_sasquash
Enthusiast - Level 1

Update on the ongoing story.

I took the TV back to best buy (bought 12/26/2010) and they replaced it no questions even though they have had no trouble with hdmi and my brand of TV. Got the new one home plugged it in and within 10 minutes the sound problem was back. I moved the box that was giving me trouble the Motorola 71001 to the front room and took its stb Motorola 71002 guess what the problem followed the 71001 and now the TV in my office has no sound trouble except my wife mad at me for making the one she watches have trouble now.

So my mission is to get a 71002 from Verizon. They tell me they can't pick which box they send me so if any one from Verizon actually reads these can you please help me? If not I'll let you know how to get one and then we all can drive em nuts!

0 Likes
sleepdoc
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was having the same problem with the exact same TV.  Just applied your fix.  Seems to work so far.  Thanks so much for this post.

0 Likes
Scazzino

Thanks for the instructions on changing the hidden audio setting. Just upgraded to an HD box and had the same problem losing audio when changing HD channels. Changing the audio setting fixed it, thanks!

0 Likes
joescableissues

I have the same sound issues and got all the same answers from tech support, I wanted to try to change audio output using the instructions given but I don't have a [Select Button] any other suggestions?

0 Likes
jhhorowitz
Enthusiast - Level 1

With TV and STB on: press power then OK, then on remote press menu.  Change HDMI setting to PCM.  Then power up you're done!