HD DVR fails to recover disk space
BobHassinger
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would think this must have been discussed, but I can't find it.

I have been noticing with our HD DVR that some of the recording space is not recovered when content is deleted, and that more than the correct amount for a given recording is indicated as used.  I am not sure but it may be a case of additional space usage getting added into the total along the way and not being recovered after the content is deleted so it continues to be counted.

The first time I noticed this the box showed almost all the available space used when I only had enough content saved to account for about half that (disk showed as almost full, but only nine or 10 hours of HD recorded - it should be closer to 20 to fill the disk, right?)

When I delete everything there is still space showing as used - I don't get back to 100% available.

So far resetting the box by unplugging it and plugging it in again has fixed the error.  That is obviously not an adequate solution though.  There is a bug in the box that needs to be fixed.  Perhaps it was introduced in a recent software update?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HD DVR fails to recover disk space
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@BobHassinger wrote:

I would think this must have been discussed, but I can't find it

When I delete everything there is still space showing as used - I don't get back to 100% available.

So far resetting the box by unplugging it and plugging it in again has fixed the error.  That is obviously not an adequate solution though.  There is a bug in the box that needs to be fixed.  Perhaps it was introduced in a recent software update?

This has been discussed many times.  It is a bug that has been around for a long time and the only known "fix" is (as you have discovered) pulling the power.  Don't know if it is fixed in the latest update (1.7) as I haven't received it yet.

View solution in original post

Re: HD DVR fails to recover disk space
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@BobHassinger wrote:

I would think this must have been discussed, but I can't find it

This has been discussed many times.  It is a bug that has been around for a long time and the only known "fix" is (as you have discovered) pulling the power.  Don't know if it is fixed in the latest update (1.7) as I haven't received it yet.