HD DVR QIP 7216-1, sound and picture issues.
twazl634
Just got fios yesterday, and i am very pleased with picture quality. although right from start, i had issues. First off, I run the HDMI cable right into my receiver Onkyo TX-SR606 and then from there into my TV. Well, i saw a green screen. No big deal, just ran the HDMI straight into the tv, but it kinda defeats the purpose of having a pretty good receiver. Second issue, and its very very annoying, there is a slight pop or crack in the sound, only coming out of the front speakers. its very very low, but i can hear it, its not the speakers, because when i play ps3 or dvd no pop or crack. and you really hear when a commercial changes. i have an optical cable running from box to receiver.  Any help to these issues would be appreciated.
0 Likes
Re: HD DVR QIP 7216-1, sound and picture issues.
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1

The 7216-1 has many known issue's and audio problems are one of them. There is a new update being release across Verizons foot print, hopefully the update will eliminate most if not all of the audio issues.

Im not sure when the update will reach Maryland. If the issue is something you can't deal with report the problem to Verizon and request a 6416 Set Top Box.

0 Likes
andra
 I had my fios installed on march  3rd and have had nothing but problems with the audio. With dvr box 7216 it was like skipping audio very annoying,  called cust service a few times finally they sent another box. I got dvr 6416, The audio now is even worse not only does the sound skip  it actually goes off for a few seconds. Also I sometimes hear a little click then the sound goes way down for a few seconds. Needless to say I am very frustrated and disappointed. They are finally sending a tech on friday dont know what they will do but they better not charge me for this.
0 Likes
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1
If you are experiencing the same problem from two different model DVR's then one would think the problem could be wiring. You need to call and insist on a service call to diagnose the problem!
Message Edited by Joe01880 on 03-10-2009 09:10 PM
0 Likes
arfcorps
Enthusiast - Level 1

not true. I also have an Onkyo 606 with a 7216, and I also get the same green screen after 20 secs, the problem

is with the 7216 HDMI comms and Verizon need to fix it.

The 606 is one of the biggest selling reveivers out there, and the fact that Verizons 7216 is incompatible is ridiculous.

Cheers!

Arthur

wilmepe
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have a similar issue (intermittent green screen, no video but audio) when I connect my QIP 7216 through my Extrememac HDMI switcher. My TV only has one HDMI port and I never had a problem using my cablevision stb with it. The tech who installed the equipment's answer was to just run the HDMI direct to the TV. Which is not a solution. Verizon needs to fix the HDMI issues.
ak2009
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree with both arfcorps and wilmepe.

I just got a new hd dvr and the hdmi does not work. Each verizon rep you talk to has a different story of how this is not a problem with the verizon box but rather the HDTV or the cable etc...  This is clearly a bug that Verizon needs to fix.

Meanwhile those of us who want to put up with it and live with a compromised box can go on. For me, its an absolute mess with my 61" hdtv and 5.1 home theater speakers. Both the picture and sound are degraded! The solution is not to plug the hdmi into the TV and throw away my home theater system! I'd rather throw away the fios box and get a competing one that is update with today's technology!

0 Likes
Jeff1512
Enthusiast - Level 3
I'm curious... Is this HDMI issue ONLY with some specific TV's and/or amplifiers?  Most of the posts I see are issues with SAMSUNG TV's. 
0 Likes
wilmepe
Enthusiast - Level 2

My TV is a Panasonic. I don't have any problems when the stb is hooked up directly to it, It's only when I try to use my HDMI switcher. Which should work.

I'm looking to get a new home theater reciever with multiple HDMI inputs  to replace the switcher but i don't want to spend lots of money on something that won't work the way it should.

Message Edited by wilmepe on 04-23-2009 07:10 AM
0 Likes
ak2009
Enthusiast - Level 3

My TV is also Panasonic rear projection LCD HDTV. And my receiver is Onkyo 5.1. Both are about 3 years old. IF you google the issue, you will find that this HDMI problem has plagued these Verizon motorola boxes since 2005. One would think that they would have fixed it by now, but it does not seem as if they are concerned at all. The advice is to use yesterday's obsolete technology, go two steps backward, and use component cables to solve the problem!

Compare any other DVR out there - DirectTV, Dish Network or AT&T and they are all better than Verizon's box. Three year old technology from DirecTV is better than Verizon's cutting edge technology being offered today. Is Verizon listening? I doubt it.

0 Likes