HD Programming
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

I've never had HD programming and currently use SD boxes.. I was wondering, would you even be able to tell the difference hooking up an HD box to view the HD programming we're already paying for if our flatscreens are only 720p?  don't you have to have a 1080 screen to see HD?  would it be worth anything to get HD boxes for our current tv's that are running SD programming right now?

0 Likes
Re: HD Programming
PJL
Master - Level 3

@avemaria92 wrote:

I've never had HD programming and currently use SD boxes.. I was wondering, would you even be able to tell the difference hooking up an HD box to view the HD programming we're already paying for if our flatscreens are only 720p?  don't you have to have a 1080 screen to see HD?  would it be worth anything to get HD boxes for our current tv's that are running SD programming right now?

HD programming is in either 720p or 1080i (both are the technical standard for HD programming and either can be used by a provider, station or network), and the HD STB can be set to ouput in either, so your 720p TV will display HD channels with an HD STB.  You will see a big improvement on picture quality with an HD box!

avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

that's good to know.. our first flatscreen is a 32 inch Samsung and it's running SD right now and to me it's just not good enough.. I just thought 720 might be too small for the size..  but yeah, new to me.

0 Likes
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

I saw a page on here that has pictures of about 3 different HD boxes that are offered.. (can't find it now)..  the section of my account where I can select to order an HD box just says 'HD box'.. but doesn't give me the option of choosing.. if I just order an HD box upgrade, will I get the newest type box?  I saw ones that have a USB port on the front.. do we get that?  

thanks

I did see a section with an HD box.. but it said 'color, size and model may vary'...  how do we know which model they'll send and why would there be a difference?

0 Likes
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@avemaria92 wrote:

I saw a page on here that has pictures of about 3 different HD boxes that are offered.. (can't find it now)..  the section of my account where I can select to order an HD box just says 'HD box'.. but doesn't give me the option of choosing.. if I just order an HD box upgrade, will I get the newest type box?  I saw ones that have a USB port on the front.. do we get that?  

thanks

I did see a section with an HD box.. but it said 'color, size and model may vary'...  how do we know which model they'll send and why would there be a difference?

Hello,

Just a few things:

1)

There are three models of HD-capable set top boxes (STBs) in circulation for a Motorola account:  6200, 7100-1 and 7100-2.  

For a Cisco account, there is only the CHS335 model. 

There are also three models of HD-capable DVRs in circulation for a Motorola account:  6416, 7216 and 7232.

For a Cisco account, there is only the CHS435 model.

For a list of FiOS TV equipment and models, please see this link:  http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/tv/fiostv/receivers/equipment+issues/top+questions.htm

One can view more details (such as dimensions, wiring diagrams, etc.) about the particular STB by selecting the STB model.

2) One can order STBs:

• online by signing into one's account via verizon.com,
  • over the phone by calling 1-800-837-4966, OR
  • at a local FiOS TV store

The STB can either be mailed out directly to your home with a shipping fee, or you can request pick up at the local FiOS store.

3) There are TV equipment bundled discounts available for having:

• a multi-room DVR plus set top boxes, or
  • more than one set top box that is HD-capable.  

The more regular STBs (HD-capable) there are on the account, the greater the discount.

Having said all the above, it is recommended to speak with a Verizon Customer Service representative either over the phone or at a local FiOS store to get exact pricing for adding STBs to your account.

Depending on your length of TV service with Verizon, there could be existing promotions on your current equipment, or discounts in place where changes (addition/removal) of STB(s) could affect your monthly charges.

4) When a STB is ordered online or over the phone, you'll get shipped the STB model available at the distribution facility at the time. Hence, the STB model you'll receive in the mail is not guaranteed. 

This would be a similar scenario if you walk into a local FiOS TV store to pick-up a STB, it depends on what is in stock.

This goes the same way if a technician arrives with STBs in tow for the installation (you'll get what is on hand at the local garage).  This is also the case if Technical Support were to mail out a replacement STB.

A majority of the time by mail, it would likely be the 7216-1 model for the DVR, or the 7100-P1 model for the regular STB with HD-capability.  Both STBs are silver in color and are relatively good models.

Here is a list of local FiOS TV stores in your area:

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/TV/FiOSTV/General+Support/Account+Issues/QuestionsOne/8...

I would suggest calling the store beforehand to ensure they have the STBs in stock  (and they can also likely let you know what model(s) are available for pick-up on that day).

Hope this helps!

avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

are there any differences between the 7100-p1 and 7100-p2 besides the size and color?  I like the P2 because it's 5 inches thinner and black..

0 Likes
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@avemaria92 wrote:

are there any differences between the 7100-p1 and 7100-p2 besides the size and color?  I like the P2 because it's 5 inches thinner and black..

Besides the size and color difference, the 7100-P2 set top box is also lighter in weight.  It does not have a clock display.  This latest HD-capable STB is a sleeker, slimmer, more "eco-friendly" version.

0 Likes