HDMI frame loss when set to 1080i output.
Alisongoldfrapp
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Vizio TV that drops frames and shows several black lines at the top when the cable box is set to output in 1080i  and it only does it on certain channels. The TV does support 1080i. It doesn't happen when I set to output at 720p. The problem suddenly developed overnight. I have changed the HDMI cable to no avail.

0 Likes
Re: HDMI frame loss when set to 1080i output.
tns
Master - Level 2

In terms of black lines at the top and bottom,  Many programs do this.  If your TV is set to show all 1080 lines you will see them.  Many TV's default to showing less than the whole screen.  In fact until newer HDTV's came out most couldn't show all the picture.  On movies most are never exactly 16x9.  1.85 is particurlarly popular and will have black lines on top and bottom if all the picture is shown. 

0 Likes
Alisongoldfrapp
Enthusiast - Level 3

@tns wrote:

In terms of black lines at the top and bottom,  Many programs do this.  If your TV is set to show all 1080 lines you will see them.  Many TV's default to showing less than the whole screen.  In fact until newer HDTV's came out most couldn't show all the picture.  On movies most are never exactly 16x9.  1.85 is particurlarly popular and will have black lines on top and bottom if all the picture is shown. 

This is beyond overscan and the black lines vanish when I change resolutions. I forgot to mention the black lines are flickering at the top. And no, I'm sure it's not a VBI.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Exactly the kind of thing you see on some channels.  Often see it during the morning news shows in NY as they hold mutltiple screens overlaying each other and not always the same size.

0 Likes
Alisongoldfrapp
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also, just FYI, my TV is not set to do 1-1 pixel mapping and the solid flickering (not a vertical blanking interval line!) black lines appear at the top 20% area of the screen.

0 Likes
Alisongoldfrapp
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just updated the firmware on my TV and it seemed to resolve the problem.

0 Likes