HDMI Handshake
bradentongal
Been having handshake issues for months with our Motorola DVR and our Pioneer Elite Kuro.  Gave in and swapped out HDMI cables for component cables.  Thinking of turning in the DVR for a regular HD STB if that would allow us to go back to HDMI.  Does anyone know if the handshake issue has been confined to the DVR boxes only?  Thanks!
0 Likes
Re: HDMI Handshake
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
No the HDMI issue is not just with the DVR it happens on the HD STB as well. Its not quite as frequent but it does have the same issues. The problem is in the motorola HDMI firmware, both the HD DVR and the HD STB use the same HDMI firmware.
0 Likes
izub
Enthusiast - Level 3
I also have a Kuro and the 6416...what setting do you have sd override on in the STB? if it's on 480i then the handshake issue is bad...try stretch or off
0 Likes
VZ_Christian
Contributor - Level 2

@bradentongal wrote:
Been having handshake issues for months with our Motorola DVR and our Pioneer Elite Kuro.  Gave in and swapped out HDMI cables for component cables.  Thinking of turning in the DVR for a regular HD STB if that would allow us to go back to HDMI.  Does anyone know if the handshake issue has been confined to the DVR boxes only?  Thanks!

Bradentongal,

The HDMI handshake issue will be present with any HD box (DVR and non-DVR), regardless of service provider.  Verizon has been working with Motorola and a number of major HDTV manufacturers on this issue and our engineers believe that they have finally been able to identify and address the issue at hand.  I have been told that the next IMG upgrade (1.7) will address this issue and greatly, if not completely, resolve this issue.

In the meantime, we recommend utilizing the component cables so as to avoid an occassional loss in picture.

- Chris

0 Likes
The_Saint
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any idea when this (1.7 firmware) may be released? I just spent 3K on new Samsung LED TV and Denon AVR, with thoughts of simplifying installation via HDMI. Was pretty disappointed to find out the Fios box/receiver is not communicating with AVR utilizing HDMI cables.

I will connect Fios box/receiver directly to TV using HDMI and run a second Optical cable from Fios box/receiver to AVR. Told this will solve the loss of picture for now, but would really like to reduce the number of cables being used. I also have a PS3/Blu-Ray connected to AVR using HDMI cables, that set up works great.

Come on Verizon, I left Direc-Tv after 10+ years of service, don't fail me now.

0 Likes
bradentongal
Thanks for the info. We discovered the same when we attempted to connect the HD STB (no DVR) and it immediately failed. 
0 Likes
airscapes1
Enthusiast - Level 2
This isn't much of a work around but I have found when plugging in my DLP projector if I turn off the STB, plugin, turn on the projector then the STB it works.  I had a 7100 box that would reboot itself intermitently when in the on-demand menu reguardless of HDMI, so they sent me a new box but this time it was a 6200.  No reboots but now I have the HDMI issue.  I would love to have the 7100 back and just wait for it to boot but don't want to drive my blood pressure up dealing with tech suportless..
0 Likes
e654562

I hear IMG 1.7 should fix this issue.. I am having a similar issue.. 1.7 I am hearing for NY should be delivered Oct 15 if all goes well as per a tech yesterday.

0 Likes