HDTV Picture quality after upgrade to Fios triple play bundle on MyFios speed questions
Juliet1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I just entered into a new contract, FIOS triple bundle and on the plus side my Fios speed increased from 15 to 25 (whatever units) and on the negative side, the picture quality went downhill like day and night immediately.  I know the moment it happened almost. The night before, I watched a football game and the new channels had already been added on, and everything was fine.  Then I got a message asking me if I wanted to continue watching the TV while they did something (dont' recall the message)  I said yes.  Actually, next morning picture was lifeless, flat, nothing like it looked previously.  So after contacting Verizon, of course they treated me like a bimbo and blamed the television.  Let me preface this by saying the tech was very nice, he just couldn't believe I would even suggest it was the fault of Verizon.

I have a 4 month old HDTV  Toshiba television 1080 (but looks like crap on 720 or 1080) and pior to this  it had a brilliant,  sharp contrast although admittedly it had issues such as glare appearing in spots on peoples' faces - hint: don't buy the Best buy special that is  mfg for Best Buy.  Overall it was good though.

Not so now.  Sorry Verizon, I didn't expect your upgrade to leave me with a picture  that reminded me of a poor SD quality picture - blurry, flat, not sharp but I can't say I see pixels, although it's hard to describe.  Everyone looked like zombies in the picture with almost no color at all at first, then after an hour on the phone with Toshiba, the picture improved in terms of color but something big time is lacking despite that it's tough to describe.  Taking it in for repair won't help at this point as the Geek Squad guys won't be able to iimprove it in that regard. 

Verizon tech helped me with basic some troublshooting such as resetting modem, swapping up HDMI cables and looking at settings, even resetting my television to factory settings, trying 720, 1080 etc. all to no avail.  He said it's ludicrous (not those words, he was nice) to even suggest it could be on Verizon's end.

So now, I'm going to be forced to terminate my contract I guess because they certainly won't send a tech out to me.   Is there any hope of troubleshooting this?  I don't have any splitters on it.  Thanks in advance.  This feels more distressing than it should be, I realize, but I don't know what to do.

0 Likes
Re: HDTV Picture quality after upgrade to Fios triple play bundle on MyFios speed questions
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model STB do you have and how does it connect to TV?

0 Likes
Re: HDTV Picture quality after upgrade to Fios triple play bundle on MyFios speed questions
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked Picture Mode in the televison's settings to see if the TV somehow was changed to a less contrasty mode?

0 Likes
Juliet1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Motorola QIP 7100.  It's connected to the television by a coax cable and an HDMI.  I couldn't figure out how to include the DVD player.  Sorry about the delay in sending this.  Somehow I'm Wendykarla and Juliet.  Oy vey!  Thanks for your response.

0 Likes
Juliet1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I reset the television to the factory default, then called Toshiba and they advised me on the best settings.  This is such a puzzle.  I guess I can cancel the contract but I'd rather try and resolve this.  Someone asked me what model the set top box is but I seem to have 2 user id's.  This will probably get edited out but did I say I am fed up with Verizon yet today?

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Juliet,

We have sent you a private message.  Please check your Private Message Inbox by clicking the icon in the upper right of this page. It should look like this -->>

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is coax from box to TV or do you have a plitter and 1 coax goes to box and other TV?

If from box to TV, there is no need for that. Did you verify source is set to HDMI and not antenna?

Juliet1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just realized it goes into a splitter, then one end goes to the box, the other into the modem, and I also have HDMI inputs and of course, audio/viideo.  I just recalled that the box is new - swapped out the old box after purchasing the televison 4 a few months ago.  I have had FIOS for years, and the change was going from the SD televison to the LED sytle, so I had to upgrade the box.

I watch HDMI 2 and when I turn the television on, I see a box chosen on the lower right hand side of the set.  I exit out of that and I see the picture.

I am sorry I don't know the board etiquette.  I honestly appreciate everyone's input.  If I consider the problem to be resolved, I won't receive any more replies.

0 Likes
Juliet1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are you saying that just the HDMI does this and I don't need the coax connection?  I will disconnect it then.  Verizon originally set this up, then we swapped out the box.  Everything worked well minus the television picture was never stellar due to backlighting issues on the best-buy mfg for Toshiba television set.  But after upgrade, we did nothing to the wiring.  I didn't have success hooking it up to my old DVD player....tried it on 480 but didn't work anyhow.  I will try hooking it up to PC to see if picture improves.  I'm just out of ideas.  I will see if a Verizon tech will come out.  Other option, do with out a tV and bring the TV back to best buy and the Geek squad said they can keep it for upwards to a month.  Oh well.  Thanks for listening.  Football games in the past were very vivid.  I'll check it out today.  Stay warm!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

HDMI is the only connection you need from STB to a HD TV.

It carries HD video and audio.

Coax will carry lower quality picture.

0 Likes