Help connecting components to new HD DVR
lclarke522

I just upgraded from a standard stb to an HD DVR, and tried to connect it tonight. I had planned to just unplug the old and plug the same cables into the new, but I ended up having one cable (coax from VCR) that had noplace to go.  I messed around with it, and I got it so that I can watch TV, but now I can't  watch DVDs. 

Can anyone explain, in plain English (because I've never done this before) how I should connect the following components?

HDTV

HD DVR

DVD player

VCR

Audio Receiver

Notes:

• The receiver must be included so that we can use the surround sound by default.
  • Technically, I think we can bypass the VCR, if that makes it easier.  We rarely use it anymore.
  • There is also a Wii and a Squeezebox in this setup, but I'm pretty sure they haven't been affected by my changes.

Thanks so much!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help connecting components to new HD DVR
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@lclarke522 wrote:

I just upgraded from a standard stb to an HD DVR, and tried to connect it tonight. I had planned to just unplug the old and plug the same cables into the new, but I ended up having one cable (coax from VCR) that had noplace to go.  I messed around with it, and I got it so that I can watch TV, but now I can't  watch DVDs. 

Can anyone explain, in plain English (because I've never done this before) how I should connect the following components?

HDTV

HD DVR

DVD player

VCR

Audio Receiver

Notes:

• The receiver must be included so that we can use the surround sound by default.
  • Technically, I think we can bypass the VCR, if that makes it easier.  We rarely use it anymore.
  • There is also a Wii and a Squeezebox in this setup, but I'm pretty sure they haven't been affected by my changes.

Thanks so much!

There are lots of different ways of connecting these devices. Depending on if you want ease of use or quailty of picture.  We would also need to know what types of connections are available on each device. I'm going to assume you want quality of picture and I'm going to make an assumption that your DVD player has component (red green blue red and white) connection.

DVR to TV    use HDMI connection if you have it available.

DVD to TV.  Use component cables (red green blue red and white cables) from the component out on the dvd  to the component 1 input on the tv

VCR to TV.  Use composite cables (yellow white and red). Connect the composite cables from the vcr out to the Video 1 input on the TV

Your stereo. this can be a little tricky depending on what you have. The easiest way, is if you have audio out on your tv. this would be a red and white cable connection on the back of the tv labled audio out. If you have this run a red and white cable from the tv to the stereo input. Then what ever the tv see's will go to the stereo as well. There are many other ways, but this all depends on what quality level you want and what each device has available to it.

View solution in original post

ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@lclarke522 wrote:

HDTV

HD DVR

DVD player

VCR

Audio Receiver

Notes:

Thanks so much!

There are lots of different ways of connecting these devices. Depending on if you want ease of use or quailty of picture.  We would also need to know what types of connections are available on each device. I'm going to assume you want quality of picture and I'm going to make an assumption that your DVD player has component (red green blue red and white) connection.

DVD to TV.  Use component cables (red green blue red and white cables) from the component out on the dvd  to the component 1 input on the tv

VCR to TV.  Use composite cables (yellow white and red). Connect the composite cables from the vcr out to the Video 1 input on the TV

Your stereo. this can be a little tricky depending on what you have. The easiest way, is if you have audio out on your tv. this would be a red and white cable connection on the back of the tv labled audio out. If you have this run a red and white cable from the tv to the stereo input. Then what ever the tv see's will go to the stereo as well. There are many other ways, but this all depends on what quality level you want and what each device has available to it.

lclarke522

I tried that originally, but the diagram shows a different model than I have, and it has an extra coax connection that mine doesn't.  Thanks, though,

@ohpoleez wrote:

Try this link to start with -

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Receivers/Wiring+Diagrams/Wiring+Diagrams.htm

0 Likes
lclarke522

Thank you.  This, along with some input from friends, helped me come up with a configuration that works for me.

@spacedebris wrote:

0 Likes